starting strength gym

Thread: Can I lift in an uninsulated garage?

Question Can I lift in an uninsulated garage?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone,

I have a question. My wife and I currently rent in North Dakota. The winters can get down to about -20, and the summers around 100.

We have a two stall disconnected uninsulated garage and could free up one stall. Can we rig up a platform and lift in there? I don't know how the logistics of this would work. Maybe all of the lifts wouldn't be feasible.... I wouldn't want to buy a nice bar and then somehow have it ruined or something in there.

If it's an exceptionally wet spring, you can get a little water on the floor. (Comes under the wall where the wood is secured to the concrete)

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

I live in Upstate NY on the edge of the Adirondack mountains. It's not quite North Dakota extreme but quite similar weather.
    Very very cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer and very wet spring.

My gym is in a uninsulated disconnected concrete garage. Get a good fan for the summer and open it up at night to pull the heat out..

I tried a space heater for the winter and it didn't do much besides boost my electric bill by a lot..

I recommend looking into cold weather running gear. Those nuts get out there in all types of extreme weather and the stuff is designed to layer and be flexible.

I bought some Marino wool pants that dont impede my squats at all and long sleeve tops that I put on under my t-shirts. That and a good ski cap will keep you pretty warm once you start lifting.

The biggest issue for me is the cold bar. Put on gloves in between sets. Sometimes if it's really freezing I will wear them for warmups too until the blood is really pumping.