starting strength gym

Thread: Power Rack - Drilling Additional Holes

Default Power Rack - Drilling Additional Holes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've got an old ProMaxima power rack with holes that have 4" between them. The holes also don't go low enough for Rack Pulls. Would there be any issues with drilling holes between the existing holes and extending them down closer to the floor like the SS racks?

Rack.jpg

If there are no integrity issues with this, what would be the best way to get it done?

Any advice is appreciated!

Take it to a shop and have a pro do it. There is no problem with that spacing, but you will fuck this up if you do it at home.

That's kinda what I thought. I've fucked up things waaay easier than this. Thanks Mark!

If they're common 1" holes, the correct tool for making new holes is an "annular cutter". A 1" drill bit will make a severely non-round hole in thinwall tubing like most cages, or even channel iron.

An annular cutter looks like an end mill with a hollow center. Sometimes they're piloted like a holesaw.

They're not greatly expensive, but they're not something a typical shop would have on hand. You should ask the shop how they intend to make the holes before you turn your parts over to them.

Also, they'll need to measure the holes before ordering the cutter. The "1 inch" holes on my rack were between 1-1/16 and 1-3/32" to provide clearance for the pins on the accessories.