starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLP DL warm-ups

Default NLP DL warm-ups

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've tried various crap around the garage to set my bar on for NLP Dead Lift warm up sets and as you probably know, nothing is working very well after the first rep. What do serious people use that works well? I have tools.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hazeltine View Post
    crap around the garage to set my bar on for NLP Dead Lift warm up sets
    The platform?

The only thing I can think is that you are talking about loading the bar with less than 135 pounds, and in the absence of bumper plates.

It doesn't matter. Pulling from a slight "deficit" for a couple warmup sets isn't going to affect anything. When using the empty bar, you can kind of do a deep RDL (holding the bar at the spot on the shins where the plates would put it) if you want. Your weights will soon get heavy enough that this doesn't matter.

If you're power cleaning, and you should be, you'll need a set of bumper plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hazeltine View Post
    I've tried various crap around the garage to set my bar on for NLP Dead Lift warm up sets and as you probably know, nothing is working very well after the first rep. What do serious people use that works well? I have tools.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Are you warming up the deadlift with an empty bar?

If so, don’t.

You can just use a stack of plates. That's what I did in the beginning.
    The weights are light enough that you should be able to lower under full control, so you can make the plate land on the same spot (the hole that hangs off the bar) every time so that it won't roll off.

I want to see a video of the lawn mower being used for 45 lb rack pulls.

On the NLP, you're always coming to the DL after 3 work sets of squats and three work sets of a pressing motion. You are already very well warmed up overall at that point, so the DL warmups don't need to start with an empty bar and be as protracted as your squat warmups were. What are you working up to for your one work set of the deadlift, Jeff?

My warmups start with an empty bar and I’m reviewing video of every set to monitor my form in an attempt to postpone the next back tweak. While I looked forward to a response to my query, I cobbled together a couple of wooden disks. This will let me go through the motions starting with the setup for each rep.

What is your 5RM deadlift now?

starting strength coach development program
    53.5 kg.

I am progressing slowly but I'm ok with that as long as I progress.

I started SS mid May. Tweaked my back with DL 52.5.
    Did RDL 50 kg. for 4 sessions and then back to DL for 6 sessions (interrupted by a visit with family in TX) and got up to DL 53.5 when I tweaked my back Squatting last week.
    I now have fractional plates and I started 72 hr. recovery periods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast