starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dastardly Tackles Texas Method

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    take a slightly wider grip on the clean if you need to fit your knees in. this isn't rocket surgery.
    Ill make a video some time. It is impossible to rack the bar with how wide my grip needs to be to fit around knees.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 06-12-2010 at 04:52 PM.

I don't mean to be rude but your squats have numbers that people have within a month or so on the novice progression. I'd go back on the novice progression reload if you're feeling beat up, low bar (high bar and front squats are not necessary unless you're an olympic lifter, because less weight = less strength). Get your diet dialled in, ie milk may not be neccessary and have fun and progress. The real beauty of ss is regardless of peoples situations it can be rectified quickly.

I pissed around for many months doing ws4sb, westside, 5 3 1, texas method, madcow when I had numbers similar to yours, however i was making hardly any progress. However I saw ac on 70s big doing ss and with his numbers made feel like a massive pussy (granted most people will never get to his numbers on ss), but I still managed to almost get there. Spend just about 2 months and milk the shit out the ss program, then you can be intermediate and do more what you want.

In two months you take your squat from 100 3*5 to about 140-150 3*5 and put on at least 50 kg on your deadlift, if you can't do that you have recovery problems, diet, sleep, work related stress, or your balls are fucked up because you ought to be producing more t. If you really feel it necessary to go to the advanced novice program, some variations I did were.

mon 3*5 sq
    3*5 bench
    3 sets of chins to failure

wed 2*5 sq (80% of mon), I wouldn't do front squats
    1*5 deadlift

fri 3*5 sq
    3*5 press
    5*3 pc and some chins if you fancy

however I did this near the end

mon squat 3*5
    tue bench 3*5 + power clean + 3 sets chins
    wed off
    thur squat 3*5
    fri press 3*5 + 1 set of 5 deadlift + 3 sets of chins
    sat off

Lastly I found the only I could get my sets were to take 10-15 mins rest, don't underestimate this rest time.
    Last edited by beast; 06-12-2010 at 01:48 PM.

So you were overzealous with your weight selection for 5x5, and it fucked up your intensity day. No shit.

General take-home lesson: don't be an idiot.

Specific take-home lesson: be conservative when you start a new program. Don't pick starting weights that you can't handle just because you want to speed up your progress, or because the larger plates look more impressive.

Try it again. This time, start with a lighter weight. Like 92.5 kg for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Like 92.5 kg for example.
    You mean on the squat?

I thought the point volume day was to go pretty much as heavy as possible for 5x5. Because 3x5 is not enough to disrupt homeostasis.

I think I may have also discovered that RM type weights on low bar squats do not work so well on me as I have to "reach" down. I have no bounce and end up letting the bar go forward while trying to get depth.

I am considering going back to SS and trying to work my way back up with high bar. Because I noticed that I get the "bounce/pop" with high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I thought the point volume day was to go pretty much as heavy as possible for 5x5. Because 3x5 is not enough to disrupt homeostasis.
    As you've just experienced, if you go as heavy as possible for 5x5 you won't recover properly. And you ALWAYS use conservative starting weights on a new program because you need to give your body time to adjust. If you go back to SS you will have to pick conservative starting weights for that too, or else you will stall in the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but your squats have numbers that people have within a month or so on the novice progression.
    It is largely irrelevant what numbers other people have. Other people is not me. I have reset several times on all lifts. Interestingly, my only lift that is making strong signs of moving right now is the deadlift.

Every since I started good mornings it has been creeping up nicely, and my form feels really solid. I believe I could possibly go up 20kg in the next couple months. But 50kg? Dont you think that is a bit overly optimistic for someone who has done a year and half of barbell training? I am not progressing like a novice anymore, and havent been for for while.

If you think something may be wrong with my balls, so be it. It could actually be true. But that changes nothing.

I get plenty of sleep & food. With protein,fish oil, vitamins & mineral supplements on top.

There is no reason for me to be in a state of poor recovery in the way you are suggesting. I eat much more than all the people I know who can bench big. My modest numbers are purely because I am me. I have always been pretty weak, what can I say, dont rub it in?

I am fucking full of small ailments, but this is what I have to work with. I grew up with Dyspraxiawhich may explain some relative weakness overall due to my "wiring" and why it would take someone like me longer to perfect lifting patterns. But I have always been "under muscled" in the upper body and had shoulder problems too. So pressing movements will always suck extra hard.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 06-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.

You weigh 75kg at what height? Around how many calories are you getting on average a day? There's something going wrong somewhere, and I don't think the solution is an intermediate program.

Also, you did weighted dips on your intensity. I never ever bother with that "not feeling worked" thing, as you may be able to tell from the minimal amount of stuff I do - you'll see in my log I'm quite happy to just squat and press/bench 3 times a week, and deadlift from time to time. I personally have a lot of success with this.

You might want to go back to the basics in terms of routine and just get heavier. PS.I think I'm too light at ~200lbs.

I am 75kg at 5'8".

I was 64kg when I started training so I did gain some. I have gone from a 32" trouser size to a 36" in the past 3 months or so despite weighing the same. So stuff is still growing.

I have never been skinny, even when I was 64kg I still had chunky thighs and a belly. Currently I am fairly stocky & bulky looking. In fact, my bodyshape looks nearly identical to SS posterboy Zach. I can only attribute light weight to having thin bones (I have very thin wrists & such). I dont think I have that much left to add to get to an ideal bodyweight.

Adding the dips, was a silly panic thing. Felt I needed to do something, to replace the missed intensity of the bench to rescue the day. I never did it "to feel worked" I certainly didnt feel like it as the reps were too low.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but your squats have numbers that people have within a month or so on the novice progression. I'd go back on the novice progression reload if you're feeling beat up, low bar (high bar and front squats are not necessary unless you're an olympic lifter, because less weight = less strength). Get your diet dialled in, ie milk may not be neccessary and have fun and progress. The real beauty of ss is regardless of peoples situations it can be rectified quickly.

I pissed around for many months doing ws4sb, westside, 5 3 1, texas method, madcow when I had numbers similar to yours, however i was making hardly any progress. However I saw ac on 70s big doing ss and with his numbers made feel like a massive pussy (granted most people will never get to his numbers on ss), but I still managed to almost get there. Spend just about 2 months and milk the shit out the ss program, then you can be intermediate and do more what you want.

In two months you take your squat from 100 3*5 to about 140-150 3*5 and put on at least 50 kg on your deadlift, if you can't do that you have recovery problems, diet, sleep, work related stress, or your balls are fucked up because you ought to be producing more t. If you really feel it necessary to go to the advanced novice program, some variations I did were.

mon 3*5 sq
    3*5 bench
    3 sets of chins to failure

wed 2*5 sq (80% of mon), I wouldn't do front squats
    1*5 deadlift

fri 3*5 sq
    3*5 press
    5*3 pc and some chins if you fancy

however I did this near the end

mon squat 3*5
    tue bench 3*5 + power clean + 3 sets chins
    wed off
    thur squat 3*5
    fri press 3*5 + 1 set of 5 deadlift + 3 sets of chins
    sat off

Lastly I found the only I could get my sets were to take 10-15 mins rest, don't underestimate this rest time.
    Just curious what your starting and ending points were when you went back to novice progression.

starting strength coach development program
    You make a mockery of strength training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast