starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I like brisket

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Alright, I havent updated this in awhile. From the 18th to the 24th i went on a canoe/backpacking trip in algonquin provincial park. It was a ton of fun and squatting really helped with the 100 lb, 3 mile portages. But anyways, it was a week or so of reduced calories and no barbell training, so it set me back some.

Also, a couple weeks ago while I was squatting, this guy in the power rack next to me noticed i actually knew how to squat and started talking to me. It was almost like i was talking to the host from bigger, faster, stronger. this guy was from texas, but moved to cali in his 20's to lift big weight. he told me about powerlifting and bodybuilding in the 80s, he had competed against mike inzer, and trained with tom platz. dude was cool as hell, and told me to keep pushing my squat because im built well for it, and could put up some big numbers. It kind of helped me get back on track a bit, and really want to start pushing it.

But anyways, Ive been lifting during this time, so i'll post what ive been up to.

8-27-10
    Back Squat - 295x5x3
    Bench Press - 210x5x3

8-30-10
    Back Squat - 255x5x2
    Press - 135x5x3
    Deadlift - 345x5

9-1-10
    Back Squat - 300x5x3
    Bench Press - 212.5 x 5 x 3
    Chins - 35x5x3

9-5-10
    Back Squat - 305x5x3
    Press - 137.5 x 5 x 3

9-7-10
    Back Squat - 255x5x2
    Bench Press - 215x5x3
    Deadlift - 355x5

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Braindrop View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks, mate.

9-9-10

Back Squat - 310x5x3
    Press - 140x5x3
    Barbell Row - 140x10x3

Squats were deep but not too difficult. Press felt great, I really want to make progress on this lift. The strange upper back work (or lack of) has been a combination of me being short on time and lazy. I didnt have a bar to do chins on, so I chose the rows just to get some volume. I know rip hates rows, but i wonder if running a linear progression on them 1 day a week, with chins on the other non-deadlift day, would reap greater benefits than solely doing chins.

9-13-10

Back Squat - 315x5x3
    Bench Press - 217.5 x 5 x 3
    Chins - 40 x 5,5,4
    45* Back Extensions - 20, 20, 20

Squats went really well. The weight felt light, and the sets were deep and explosive. Bench went well but the chins sucked. Did some lower back work, which i'll hopefully be able to stick with.
    Last edited by scoppi; 09-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Nice work getting back to 3 wheels on the squat. Looks like you've got more left in the tank as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scoppi View Post
    I know rip hates rows, but i wonder if running a linear progression on them 1 day a week, with chins on the other non-deadlift day, would reap greater benefits than solely doing chins.
    I don't think Rip hates rows, as much as he hates when people puss out on Powercleans and substitute rows.

Nice job on the lifts. I always bomb out on squats at 300. Which I am taking another run at over the next week or so. I hope it goes as well for me as it has for you.

misspelled - thanks, ive just got to watch my sleep and make sure im eating enough, and Im hoping i'll make some good progress.

tartan - i definitely pussed out of power cleans. the squats just became too fatiguing to do both on the same day. but my max set was 205x3x5 so im not too worried about it. good luck on 300.

9-15-10

Back Squat - 245x5x2 (No Belt)
    Press - 142.5 x 5 x 3 (PR)
    Deadlift - 365x5

Im going no belt on the light squat days to work my "core" more. The squats felt good, but my lower back was fatiguing. Press went well - weight was really easy, but for whatever reason the very last rep was a grinder. I think my form got a bit off. Deadlifts were tough. I took 15-20 seconds in between rep 4 and 5, but I didnt let go of the bar so I'm calling it a success.
    Last edited by scoppi; 09-16-2010 at 12:53 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    9-17-10

Back Squat - 320x5x3
    Bench Press - 220x5x3
    Good Mornings - 115x5x3
    Kroc Rows - 65 x Right: 30, 25 - Left: 30, 25

Squats were a joke. I had to work a bit for the last rep on the second and third set, but overall they were easy. Bench went well too. Weight felt light, and even with shitty form on the third set, the reps weren't that hard to get. Good mornings and kroc rows were light weight so my body could get used to the movements.

This is the template im going to use from now on. Weighted chins and back extensions on monday, deadlift on wednesday, and good mornings and kroc rows on friday. I might drop the kroc rows and just stick with chins, but after having been a gymnast and a crossfitter, im kind of tired of doing chins and want to lift weight. I'd do barbell rows instead of the krocs on friday, but i think that would be too much stress on my lower back. I opted for back extensions on monday because they wont create too much fatigue for me to be able to recover from in time for wednesdays deadlift, and good mornings on friday to make sure my lower back is really being worked in a way that will have the most carry over to my squat and deadlift. When the squats start getting hard i'll probably drop some or all of the lower back work, and then insert it again after a reset.

If anyone has any comments on this, please chime in.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast