starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City's 5/3/1 Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey City, just going over your posts and wondering if you may have started a bit too high with your weights. Only getting 1 or 2 reps on the third week of your first cycle could be a problem. Of course there could have been other factors I don't know if like diet, sleep, etc., but you could end up stalling in another cycle or two if the weights started too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Kroc Row:
    Left: 35x32
    Right:35x30

35 is the right way for these. I can feel it more in my hand and forearm more than the 40 lb dumbbells.
    You might want to think about going heavier with the rows. John Sheaffer recommended I do some DB rows to assist my bench. I was using 35# DBs, which felt reasonable to me, until John made fun of me and said I needed to use 75s. So I did, and I managed 2 sets of 20 with each arm. It was just really hard. It got a lot easier after a few weeks though.

Lud: I'll give it a try

Paul: My recovery's been in the shitter lately. I've been wondering if I'm having hormone problems since I followed Wendler's instructions for setting maxes.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 08-09-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Hmm, might be worth trying the same cycle again and seeing if you can increase your rep maxes at the same weight. When I was making the best gains and feeling the best I was able to get 10-11 reps week 1, 7-8 reps week 2 and 5-6 reps week 3. Could also be worth lowering your training max as a way to delaod a bit and work back up. Maybe knock another 5-10% off the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    When I was making the best gains and feeling the best I was able to get 10-11 reps week 1, 7-8 reps week 2 and 5-6 reps week 3.
    This sounds right to me -- I just finished my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 (for my squat only) and got 11, 8, and 6 on both cycles.

I might give it a try, Paul. I seem tired all the time now, and the low reps from each have been worrying me.

Honestly, it sounds like you could use a week off entirely. Take a week, eat and sleep plenty, and try and come back refreshed with a bit lower weight.

starting strength coach development program
    A week off sounds nice. Perhaps base the weights off of 85% this time. I seem to have a shitty recovery rate. Maybe it's my diet or my sleep habits. I need to take a cold, hard look at how I treat my recovery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12