starting strength gym
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's Geezerlog

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Sunday 5/1/11

Well, I survived the first game of the season, a physical 2-1 loss to my former team. For having done absolutely no conditioning work since November, I think I fared pretty well, and due to an unusually large number of players showing up, I only played 40 or so minutes (which was OK by me). Some soreness, as expected after the game, but no injuries, and I played without a knee brace for the first time in three years (a result of just DTFP since November). The legs and hips felt real strong in spite of carrying the extra 20 lbs of bodyweight. Will be cramming calories and water today and tomorrow, at which point I will need to make a decision on programming for the season.

Monday 5/2/11

Traps are sore. Elbows are sore. Ribs are sore. Abs are sore. Obliques, glutes, quads, soleus, tibialis, sore sore sore.

Kinda liking it...

Drove my son to soccer practice at 7PM and walked around the fields with a ball at my feet for an hour.. Less sore than yesterday. Force fed myself after we got home. This kinda sucks; I'm not sure I'll be able to get three lifting days into the week with my legs feeling like this for three days after a game. Will attempt 3x3 recovery day on Wednesday with more weight. Have also been thinking about splitting the week into: Sunday: Match; Monday:Active Recovery; Wednesday: Presses and Deads; Friday: Squat; Saturday:Presses and Rows.

Wednesday 5/4/11
    SQ 195/3x3
    SP 85/3x3
    Rows 155/3x3

Weight: 200 lbs

Kind of a wasted week program-wise. Was soccer sore until Wednesday, and felt flat all week. On Saturday, developed a twinge in my lower back that I've never felt before. Sunday was a travel day. Ate inconsistently all week, was over-stressed at work, and generally had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning (which is not usually like me), so will be repeating this week's program next week.

I will be taking my very soon-to-be 10 year-old daughter to her first Red Sox game on Monday night. I will get my volume workout in the AM, in anticipation of ingesting plenty of carbs at the game.

Monday 5/9/11
    SQ 240/5x5
    BP 175/5x5

Wednesday 5/11/11
    SQ 195/3x3
    SP 85/3x3
    Rows 155/3x3

Sunday 5/15/11
    Soccer game. Another loss, 2-0. I played entire first 45 minutes, and all but 10 minutes in the second half. Pouring rain throughout the entire game, but I had good runs and recovered well in between. I had one shot on goal, and three corner kicks, one which resulted in a goal which was called offside by the ref. One of our guys went out with a separated shoulder. I could relate; that was me two years ago. My right knee bothered me after the game (where 15% of the meniscus was removed four years ago). Recently I've been having thoughts of retiring after the season is over.

Weight: 200lbs

Is the soccer sore going away?

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Is the soccer sore going away?
    Hi, Bob. Feeling better than I expected to, except for the right knee, which has been punishing me all day. Muscle soreness is a wonderful feeling most of the time, but joint pain is another story altogether. I think my days on the soccer pitch are numbered...

Monday 5/16/11
    BP 185/5x5 That's all for today. Ate well, and will rest well tonight. My right knee feels loose and tender...not encouraging.

Wednesday 5/18/11
    SQ 200/3x3
    SPR 90/3x3
    Rows 160/3x3

Nearly fully recovered from Sunday's game, except for the right knee. Recovery day squats felt good on the knee with a light wrap on it. Had some occasional tweakiness today with the knee, but much better than yesterday. Still leaning toward sitting-out the next couple games, and then see how I feel.

In the meantime, I would like to finish the last three weeks of this TM cycle to hit my 2011 squat goal of 250/5x3, then set some new longer-term goals.
    Last edited by Bean1871; 05-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    [U]Monday 5/23/11
    SQ 245/5x3

Late start to workout, then my son came down and asked to work-in for a few sets. How could I refuse?

Wednesday 5/25/11
    SP 100/5x5
    DL 300/1x5

Had intentions of finishing Monday's workout on Tuesday, but fell asleep (in my workout clothes, no less) before I could get downstairs. I like being able to complete a workout in under an hour, so two lifts is just right nowadays. Looking forward to the holiday weekend and getting together with family at camp.
    Last edited by Bean1871; 05-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast