Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Grind (outta the hole)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    7/4 Back off Squats, DE Bench, Power Cleans

Today: Happy Independence Day!

Squats: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3; Work Set: 225x8
    (Really wanted to take it easy with this today. Don't want to mess up intensity in two days. Still feeling tight in the legs and glutes)

DE Bench: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 175x2; Work Sets: 175x 10(sets)x 3(reps)
    (These didn't feel too bad. I might have gone a little high with them, but I was still feeling like I could bang them out. I'll try again at the same weight next round and focus on upping the speed. 45 to 60 seconds between sets)

Cleans: 135x1, 155x1, 165x1, 175x3, 180x3 (sloppy); Work Sets: 185x 2,2,2,1,1(PR for Weight)-->Back Off Set: 165x5
    (I was really just playing around with these. I'll likely try to do sets across again next round at 185. I noticed that I could clean the weight like a champ on the first rep every time, but once it got to the second rep, I was trying to muscle it up. This is why I did a back off set to focus on form after the heavy ones. Feeling strong with these again, though. So I'll focus on progressing from here. Might just focus on doing heavy singles with short rest from here on out)

DB Rows: 90x3x8
    (I feel stupid doing curls anymore. So fuck it. I did a less brotastic exercise to compensate)

Really feeling strong again today. My motivation was sapped after volume day. So it was nice to have some success with the cleans today.

That is all.

7/6 Intensity Squat and Press; Chins

Yesterday was a rest day.

Today:

Squat: 95x 5,5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1, 295x1; Work Sets: 315x3x3 (PR) --> About 5 minutes betwen sets
    (Really pumped about this. Last reps on the last two sets were EXTREMELY slow. But it's counted. I've noticed that I'm over tensing my arms toward the end of these heavier sets. On the next deload day I'm going to try and focus on staying loose in the arms; just try and carry the weight on the back. This is going up next round)

Press: Barx8, 65x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x1; Work Sets: 165x3x3 (PR) --> All sets cleaned then pressed
    (I neglected to take my micro weights with me to the gym this evening. So I said, fuck it, I'll do a 5 pound jump. Only the final rep was really a grind. This lift is going up well and I'm feeling comfortable with it)

Chins: BWx 8,8,8,4 -->On a 90 second clock
    (I was trying to go for a more intense run at these with the reduced rest time. Normally I'm going 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or more sometimes, between sets. I think I might keep it like this for a while and see how it goes)

Doing a split today. Squat in the early afternoon with press and chins later in the evening. Set two PRs today, so I'm totally psyched about that. Tomorrow evening I'll likely do some lite conditioning stuff to loosen me up for the Deads the following day.

That is all.
    Last edited by borzoi06; 07-06-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update

7/8 Back off Squats; Bench and Dead Lift

Yesterday was lazy

Today:

Squat: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2; Work Sets: 255x2x5
    (Felt pretty charged up today. Every rep seemed quick and I'm actually feeling rested.)

Bench: Barx12, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x2; Work Sets: 225x 5,5, 235x2, 240x2, 245x1
    (Just trying to ramp these up to a top weight. The 245 single didn't feel too bad, but the bar speed was slowing down, so I ended it there. Shoulders still don't like these.)

Dead Lift: 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 345x1; Work Set: 395x5 (PR)
    (I decided to say, fuck it, and went ahead and added 5 pounds to this anyway. I used straps, though, so I feel like I cheated. Weight didn't feel too bad. Going up next round)

Dips: 45x 6,6
    (This was stupid. My shoulders really hate this)

DB Row: 95x 8,8,8
    (Again, the anti-curl assistance exercise.)

Today wasn't too bad. I was really not looking forward to working out this evening. Didn't want to go at all. Got in there, though, and it felt great. Wasn't even all that apprehensive about the pull. Just strapped on and did it. Looking forward to pulling four plates in a couple weeks.

That is all.

7/9 Random S---

Today:

Warm-up on bike for 5-10 minutes. Nothing special.

Power Cleans and Box Jumps: 145x2 and Box Jumpsx5 on a one minute clock for 5 rounds.
    (Just wanted to loosen up. Felt like I needed to do something explosive today)

Back felt a bit tight after this, but it rested well overnight. Good practice and good to keep the HR up for a bit. Going to rest one day before hopping back into it with volume.

That is all.

7/11 Volume Squats and Press with Chin-ups

Today:

Squat: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 255x1; Work Sets: 285x 5,5,5, 295x 3,3,3,3
    (I guess I decided to go for uber volume day. I wanted to do a 3x5 and then add 10-15 and throw in a 3x3. I think I might do this again for the next volume day, but drop that last set of three. I like doing the triples, but I don't want all volume sets to be triples. I'll see how it goes next week. I did get some real good depth with those last triples, though. felt good.)

Press: Barx8, 75x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2; Work Sets: 145x 5,5,5,5,4 +1 -->All weights cleaned and pressed
    (AAaaaghh! So fucking pissed. I'm thinking I over did the squats earlier because my back is feeling tight. Also, this felt way too hard for 145. Also thinking I over did bench at the end of last round. Also thinking I'm over-thinking it. I'll try this again next week, but I just might add weight anyway. BTW, that last +1 was by itself and REAAAAAAALL Slow)

Chins: BWx 8,8,6,4-->on a 90 second clock
    (Alright, now I know I'm having an off night. Whatever)

Squats felt good today despite the fact that I might have done a bit too much volume. But I'm trying to figure out the right mix between triples and sets of 5 across. I don't think I like doing the sets of 5 across for 5, but I would like to keep the volume up with some added triples. My thinking is that I don't want to drop 5s entirely for the added endurance, or whatever, but I want to keep the volume aspect of it by simply adding some weight and playing with a few extra sets of three. I will likely do a 3x5 followed by a 3x3 next volume session with 10-15 pounds between them. That third triple today did feel really fucking heavy, even though it went up without too much issue. C'est La Vie.

That is all.

7/14 Back-off Squat; DE Bench; Power Cleans

Today:

Squat: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3; Work Sets: 225x 8,8
    (Simple stupid)

DE Bench: Barx10, 95x5, 135x4, 175x1; Work Sets: 175x10x3
    (All done between 45 and 60 seconds. These felt much faster than last week, and faster as I got further into the sets)

Cleans: 135x2, 155x1, 165x1, 175x1; Work Sets: 185x2, 190x2x1 (PR), 185x2x2, 165x5
    (I definitely didn't do as much volume as last time. I put my hands back on the bar each set after about 90 seconds. So I kept it going pretty quick. My first attempt at 190 I tried for a double, but couldn't clean the second rep. I'll try to do all work set reps at 190 next round)

I was feeling sick yesterday, so I punted today's workout. Unfortunately, that in turn gave me a serious lack of motivation for today. Almost didn't lift today. I'm glad I went, but I told myself that I would require any accessory work tonight, just the lifts. So that's what I did. I got an extra day of rest, so I should be more than ready for 320 on squats in two days.

That is all.

Looks good dude. With your DE bench, what did you mean by "all done between 45 and 60 seconds"? I've never done DE before, so I'm sure about the setup and rests...

Last cycle I mess with 8's on the volume day squats and ended up adding 1 set of 4 at a higher weight (235x8x3 and then 260x4 for instance). I figured I'd try to match the total volume for 5x5 and that was as close as I could get. 3x3 on top of 5x3 makes sense to me...

^^Thanks. I'm still playing around with the DE bench. I'm doing 10 sets of 3 with only 45 to 60 seconds rest between sets. I'm liking it so far because I feel like it gives me more power work on the bench without over doing the volume or intensity. My shoulders don't like the volume bench and a slow grind for 5x5 is painful. I know Rip advocates replacing intensity day with the DE bench, but I'll still push up the intensity in a couple days with bench and just use the dynamic effort sets for what they're worth.

I don't know if I would like doing sets of 8 for volume on squat. That's one that, lately, I've been trying to focus on the intensity and I don't think I'd be able to balance sets of 8 into an adequate volume day. But, yeah, I'm gonna keep on with three sets of five followed by a few triples for volume and see how that goes. I'm thinking the same as you, though, about keeping it in line with a 5x5. I really just don't want the difference in weight between intensity and volume to be so large that intensity day becomes a shocker. Anyway, that's my intent right now.

I was checking out your log. Looks like you've been battling an injury. Kudos on the meet, even if it was just participation due to the injury. I have yet to do anything like that, so you're one up on me. I imagine it gave you some motivation for another attempt.

7/16 Intensity Squat and Press; Chins

Squats: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 195x3, 245x2, 295x1; Work Sets: 320x 3,3,2,1
    (The bar was going up too slow on the third set, so I decided to stop it at two. The single came less than two minutes after the third set. I'm going to add 5 pounds next round)

Press: Barx8, 75x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x1; Work Sets: 167.5x 2,1,1 145x5
    (I don't know what the fuck was up with me on presses this evening. Felt way too heavy. Going to re-attempt next round)

Chins: BWx 8,8,8,4 --> on 90 second clock.

Squats didn't feel too bad today. I had a buddy video the last rep to check my depth and form. Looked better than what I was thinking in my head. The press today was a WTF moment. Whatever, I'll do it again next round and see how it goes. I was going for a 3x3 on both. If I can do at least 2 sets of 3 then I'll consider it done for intensity day. Squat and Press are weight PRs.

That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    7/18 Back-off Squats; Bench and Deads

Today: Felt Good

Squat: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2; Work Sets: 245x 8,8
    (After I finished the last set I started feeling the heavy squats from a couple days ago. Just trying to keep it loose today)

Bench: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x2; Work Sets: 225x 5,5, 235x2, 240x2, 245x1, 250x1, 225x3
    (I was just playing around on this tonight. Shouldn't have done so many reps, but what the hell? I felt like it and I'm going to go into two days rest now anyway)

Dead Lift: 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 350x1; Work Set: 400x5 (PR)
    (This is the only intensity set that I'm doing for 5. I don't think that a 5 is right for me anymore. Too much over stress on one set. I'm going to two triples next week and four fucking wheels)

DB Rows: 100x3x8
    (This is where it's starting to slip for me. The weight is feeling light enough, but eight reps are starting to fall out of my hands now. Although, I think holding the bar on deads might have something to do with it. Whatever, just an accessory)

I used straps for 400 pounds today. Call me a cheat, but I won't use 'em for the warm ups. I might try to go without the straps next round if I'm only doing two triples. I'll see how my motivation is though. Feeling good. Finally working my way over three wheels for squat and getting into the four plate range for deads. I weighed in at 200.5 pounds today with shoes and all. So I'm right at 200 with no change in the weight department for about two months now. Definitely a good sign.

That is all.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast