starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E=McSTRONG

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Monday 9/26/11

Squat: 270 5x5

Felt easy, worked on form and kept it nice and tight throughout.

Bench Press: 195(PR) 3x5

Good workout, but I gotta make sure I'm keeping my shoulderblades tight and flat against the bench, I think I'm doing more work than necessary on these.

Powercleans: 145 5x3 (PR)

Wrist felt good throughout these, I think as long as I control the bar on the way back down that I'll prevent more damage to the joint. Just gotta be careful on the later sets since I get more careless when tired.

Thursday 9/29/11

Had to skip the workout yesterday cause of alert duty.

Squat: 260 2x5

Press: 125 2x5 1x4

Frustrated with this. Anyone got any tips for the press? I've always struggled with it and I wanna get stronger with it.

Deadlift: 385(PR)

Really ground these out, starting to wonder if I'll be able to keep up my progression with a 1x5 workout. Maybe the time has come to move to triples...Thoughts?

Saturday 10/1/11

Weird day today because someone was in the power rack(the only squat/power rack on base) and wouldn't budge, so I had to improvise and (gasp) do bench first!

Bench: 200 3x5 (PR)

Really felt it this time, but I think my form is primarily the reason that I've done more on an LP here than I did before. Goal is to get to 210 for 3x5 before having to change to TM style programming.

Squat: 325 1x5

Rushed into these in an effort to get 'em knocked out cause I was on a tight schedule today. Didn't feel as good as I wanted, but I also think that can be attributed to the 385 I pulled for a set of 5 the other day.

Chins: 5,4,2

Felt smoked after the bench, these were definitely tough to fight through.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Press: 125 2x5 1x4

Frustrated with this. Anyone got any tips for the press? I've always struggled with it and I wanna get stronger with it.
    You're not following your own advice and keeping progress moving with small increases. You went from 115lb to 120lb and into 125lb... despite recording questionable form on the 120lb.

I have found that advancing the Press requires discipline. From a personal perspective, when I got 115lb and hit 120lb the next session, I failed miserably. Moreover, I could no longer make the 115lb and had to de-load and push back through. Of course, there's a million reasons to factor in, like overall workload, diet, rest etc. But having just muscled back to 120lb this week, I recognize the value of keeping moving forward, no matter how small the increment. Monday, I'll shoot for 123lb, and Friday 125lb.

The only other advice I'd offer is be sure to rest fully between work sets... for me, that's at least 2 mins, and more is fine if you need it. This tends to be a personal thing. But it's about strength, not fitness or recovery -- so take all the time you need to hit the next set with all you've got.

Tuesday 4 Oct 11

Squat: 275 5x5 (PR)
    I remember when I struggled to do 275 for 3 sets of 5.

Press: 125 5x3 (PR)

Switched to triples, gonna go until I stall again, then go to TM programming.

Powerclean: 155(PR)

For some reason(Probably due to my fatigue after a 24 hour alert and then a full work day) I wasn't able to really get the jump as the core of the movement.

Thursday 6 Oct 2011

Squat: 265 2x5

Easy.

Bench: 205 1x4, 195 2x3

These were horrible. I dont think my head was in it at all. That being said, I think part of this came from my push to get 125 on my press for 5 sets of 3 the other day. I'm probably gonna switch to TM programming for my presses next week.

Deadlift: 395 1x3, 1x1

I think its time for some auxiliary movement. Gonna start toying around with RDLs and GMs this weekend, see what comes of it. Gonna go for 405 for a triple next week.

Saturday 8 Oct 11

Got back from a long, tiring alert today, so this wasn't the best workout...Got what I needed though. Also, just got half a foot of snow here in Cheyenne...Guess winter's here.

Squat: 330 1x5

I think my hamstrings were still really tight from the deadlift effort on Thursday. My bar path was pretty bad on my last rep, but got 'em all.

Press: 130 1x5 (PR)

Never done this much before with my press. Since I've decided to go to TM programming on my presses next week, I just treated this as an intensity day. Gonna come back on Tuesday with a volume bench press day.

Pullups: 4,4,3.
    Dips: 4,4,5.

Did this pretty quick cause I was anxious to get out to my truck and get home before the weather got worse. Arms felt really fatigued and I was concerned about my wrists, but got through these without any issue.

Tuesday 11 Oct 11

Squat: 280 5x5

Felt heavy, but nothing otherwise to report here.

Bench: 165 5x5

These were nice and easy, a good start to a volume day.

Chins: 5,5,4
    Dips: 6,6,6.

Goal is to add a total of three reps over the course of the 3 sets every time i do these.

Monday 17 Oct 11

Took a week off due to family being in town, gym being under construction, etc.

Came back to a revitalized gym, complete with 2(!) power-racks and a very nice Olympic Lifting platform. My only complaint? No bumpers. I honestly do not think people at this base know what bumpers are...Oh well. Got into it with my VD squat day from last week, just to err on the side of caution:

Squat: 280 5x5

So these felt nice and heavy, good and taxing, however I am concerned about the bar path. I feel it shift as I'm coming out of the hole, where the weight is centered over my toes. No bueno. I've been focusing on it real hard though, and I think I've got some mental cues to remedy the issue.

Bench: 170 5x5

Took it up 5 pounds because 165 felt ridiculously easy. This was still easy, but not so bad. Focused on getting used to the new equipment in the gym(A theme for todays workout)

Pulls: 5,4,4
    GHR(New equipment yay!): 3x10
    Dips: 7,7,7.

I think the dips are really helping my bench press. Reinforcing that "keep the elbows in and tight" mantra really helps me when I'm pushing weight up.

The big focus over the next month is getting ready for my 17 Nov Physical Fitness Test, so I may not be making as good gains as I would've normally. Goal this time is to max pushups (70+ in a min) max situps(60+ in a minute) and get below 11:30 on the run(1.5 miles.) Started doing interval training on the indoor track the other day. Gonna hit it again tomorrow, if not on the indoor track then on a treadmill to get my speed up.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 19 Oct 11

Squat: 270 2x5

Again, felt good.

Press: 95 2x5

Nothing weird here.

Deadlift: 405 1x2(PR)

Got really frustrated with this. Went it for it, got two, and then basically felt like I was gonna puke. Sure I may have pussed out, but it still pissed me off. Does anyone have any suggestions for deadlifting programming on this sort of program?

Friday, 21 Oct 11

Squat: 335 1x5(Old PR level)

Hit this hard today, no messing around. First one got away from me coming up, so that threw the rest of 'em off I think. Got all five though, so I'll call it a win. And I got a little souvenir on my back cause of the fresh knurl of the bar.

Bench: 200 1x5

Got reckless with these cause I was tired of sitting at <200 on a 1x5. Got some really good reps out of the new power rack in my gym. Love it.

Chins: 7,5,5
    GHR: 12,12,12.
    Dips: 8,8,8.

Again, as long as Im progressing in some manner on these I'm happy, particularly dips. Getting to the point where I can start weighting them, which I'm looking forward to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast