Thread: DCM's fat loss log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Training, Tuesday 17th April 2013

Deadlift 5/1:

Set 1: 117.5 kg x 5

Set 2: 135 kg x 5

Set 3: 152.5 kg x 5+ reps. 6 reps, same as last cycle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAswqARoiE

Squat assistance: 120 kg, 3 sets of 5

Neutral-grip pulldowns: 55 kg x 10, 10, 10

Summary: Nearly didn't go today, due to shit sleep and getting up early to drive my Mum to the airport. A decent session despite this - my deadlift form looks a little better, I think, and the squats were explosive. Felt so much better after the gym, it really is medicine.

Training, Thursday 18th April 2013

Press 5/1:

Set 1: 47.5 kg x 5

Set 2: 55 kg x 5

Set 3: 62.5 kg x 5+ reps. 8 reps, same as last cycle.

Press assistance: 60 kg, 5 x 5

Neutral-grip chins: 7, 5, 5, 5

Summary: I think I may be addicted to chins. That is all.

Weigh-in, Saturday 20th April 2013: 101.7 kg, down 200 g. No change in waist size. I'm back down to a single evening of carbing up, so scale weight should move down more rapidly for the last few weeks of dieting.

Training, same day:

High-bar squats: 3 x 3 @ 140 kg. Video of last 2 sets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NceKZOytty0

Neutral-grip chins: 7, 5, 5, 5

Summary: So I've decided to come off 5/1. I'm just not happy working at such low intensity and with so little volume (except with the deadlift, for which I shall continue this set-up). Next week, I will switch back to a TM-style programme, training 4 days a week. Today, I just wanted to squat 3 plates for sets across, which I duly did, along with some chins.

Training, Tuesday 23rd April 2013

Bench press: 105 kg @ 3 x 3, 90 kg x 5, 85 kg x 5, 80 kg x 5

Neutral-grip chins: 5, 5, 4

Summary: I didn't train yesterday because I had had 4 nights of shit sleep due to babysitting a prima donna greyhound puppy with vastly different ideas of what constitutes a sensible time to get up in the morning and a huge sense of entitlement. I had a decent night's sleep last night, but still didn't feel great today, which is reflected in my crappy performance on the chins - though 14 reps total is still better than a slap in the face with a rotten fish. Squats tomorrow, then I'll skip the light day this week (along with volume pressing) and do an intensity day of sorts on Saturday.

After my much smaller carb refeed on saturday, my bodyweight is already back down to Saturday's weight.

Training, Thursday 25th April 2013

High-bar squats: 3 x 3 @ 140 kg

Press: 3 x 3 @ 73.5 kg

Neutral-grip chins: 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3

Summary: Too tired and busy with work to train yesterday, so went today instead. The squats were TOUGH, to the extent that I'm worried 3 plates is beginning to become beyond me. I'm hoping, though, that it's still the effects of a strange couple of weeks with poor sleep. I'm also down 1/2 a kilo in bodyweight since the last time I squatted. The chins were better today. I think on Saturday I'll just deadlift and bench, then get back into a proper TM rhythm next week.

Weigh-in, Saturday 27th April 2013: 101.1 kg, down 600 g. Waist - I think I've been kidding myself on this, pulling the tape measure a bit too tight. It's in fact around 96 cm, or 38 inches.

Intensity bench press: 110 g x 2, 2

Deadlift 5/1: 135 kg x 5, 152.5 kg x 3, 170 x 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wbKvBthzk

Summary: Nothing much to report. The form on the first two deadlift sets is improved, I think, though I slipped back into old/bad habits on the final, heavy set. I was considering doing some singles, but want to be fresh for a return to proper TM-style training next week. And now it's CarbNite, which means it's time, time, time for ce-re-aaaaaaal!!!!
    Last edited by DCM; 04-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Are your deadlifts massively deloaded for form? The weird seems so light based on bar speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Are your deadlifts massively deloaded for form? The weird seems so light based on bar speed.
    Yes, basically. I've been unhappy with my form for some time, and though I got up to 185 kg x 5 a month or so ago, my back was pretty rounded. I guess I'm also a bit paranoid about fucking my back up, especially while recovery is compromised - my best friend is still unable to train properly a year after doing something to his back when deadlifting (though he pulled a 240 kg single), and I dread the same happening to me by getting cocky about form/too heavy a weight. So I'm content for now to just keep on doing 5/1 weights till the diet's done, then once again aggressively pursue gains on this and all the other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Yes, basically. I've been unhappy with my form for some time, and though I got up to 185 kg x 5 a month or so ago, my back was pretty rounded. I guess I'm also a bit paranoid about fucking my back up, especially while recovery is compromised - my best friend is still unable to train properly a year after doing something to his back when deadlifting (though he pulled a 240 kg single), and I dread the same happening to me by getting cocky about form/too heavy a weight. So I'm content for now to just keep on doing 5/1 weights till the diet's done, then once again aggressively pursue gains on this and all the other lifts.
    Perfectly reasonable, I was just curious. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Training, Monday 29th April 2013:

Press: 3 x 3 @ 75 kg, 5 x 70 kg, 5 x 65 kg, 5 x 60 kg (Video of 1st three sets:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaLxx04qJzk )

Neutral-grip chins: 5 x 5 (Video of last set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDmi5cur4xU)

Summary: Amazing what food (specifically carbs, specifically Coco Pops and triple chocolate cookies and ice cream), sleep, and not pressing after squats will do - last week I struggled to press 73.5 kg for sets of 3, and this week 75 kg almost flew up. I haven't filmed these in a while and wanted to check that my form isn't too hinky, hence the video. I also wanted to film my chins to see whether the knee-swinging that's going on constitutes kipping - I think they're ok, sort of.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast