Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 2757

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2/17/24

NYS Prep - m3 / w4

Squat -
    XXX...; 3 Count Close Grip 70kg 2*2 ... Really light Rows, Pulldowns, Step Ups. Can't call them successories, I barely survived today.
    I couldn't get past 110kg for one warming up. Everything hurt from top to bottom, stem to stern. Coach and I can only point to Saturday's session being too much, and I just didn't recover fast enough. That, boys and girls has never happened ... EVER.

Bench -
    87.5kg 2*2, 4 Count Close Grip 77.5kg 2*3 ... Cable work for chest, Bi's and Tri's.
    Shoulders are still not 100 percent, so the One Board Block is still in use. I feel better today, but still tired and easy to fatigue.

Deadlift -
    195kg *1, 180kg *2, 160kg 3*2; 3 Count Larsen 82.5kg 3*2 ... Double Leg work for successories.
    195kg moved pretty well, might have had another if pressed ... a much better showing than the last time I tried to hoist 190kg. I must be fully recovered based on today's session...***shakes head***

SBD Saturday -
    SSB Squats 85/95/105/95/85kg *5; Close Grip Bench 70/72.5/75kg *3; Paused Deadlifts 167.5kg 3*3 ... Single Leg work and Hack Squats for successories. We'll see if I can recover by Monday ***Spock Eyebrow Raise***

So that's the end of Week Four, and it really was a mixed bag: Shit Show Monday to a reasonable showing Thursday. Looks like I have a de-load week coming up, and then into a peaking block for NYSs. I had an epiphany after Thursday's session: My fatigue / lack of explosiveness is akin to being bi-polar (which I have been treated for in the past). I can cycle high to low and back again daily / hourly / by the minute / by the second ... only I'm really aware of when it's happening (I could never tell with my mood swings until after the fact, or some one would bring it to my attention.

And as I mentioned in my last post, I had a consult with Dr. Nichols scheduled for Thursday morning. Said consultation took place.
    As I have long suspected, Dr. Nichols believes I'm being woefully under dosed. Additionally, being on Synthroid is not the optimal agent of choice to address this issue. Accordingly, I will switch over to NP Thyroid which is an active compound (T3) of desiccated thyroid glands (Synthoid is an inactive compound T4). He is of the opinion that my issues should be easily addressed with this change in medication and dosage. The effects won't take place overnight, but should happen a lot faster than the Synthroid benefits ... unfortunately not in enough time to make a discernable difference before NYSs.

Dr. Nichols also looked at my Free Testosterone numbers, and finds that they too are at the low end of "acceptable" and should be addressed. I explained that while I'm still competing in USAPL, I run the risk of a drug test at any meet, and if the Thyroid situation resolves itself and I get back to being me ... well, the change in my numbers would certainly raise suspicion warranting a drug test. He said he understands my situation, and is happy to table it pending a change in my "competitive situation".

Oh, and this change in meds may have a beneficial effect on mood swings as well. Dr. Nichols dropped a couple of Pub Med articles on my that addressed High Dose Thyroid treatments on mood disorders ... not gonna say no to that.

Oh, oh, and he looked at my PSA numbers and was taken aback at how low they were, given the type of Prostate cancer treatment I underwent. He said he only sees number as low as mine with people who underwent a Prostatectomy. He said I should let the folks at Roswell know he was impressed, and thought they did a bang up job for me. That was heartening.

So I should have my new meds in hand by Tuesday. I'm signing on with his Clinic for the coming year, and I'm informing my PCP that he is no longer responsible for addressing my thyroid issues. That should be a really fun conversation.
    Last edited by Browndog; 02-17-2024 at 04:06 PM.

2/23/24

NYS Prep - m4/w1

Squat -
    120 / 127.5kg *1; Single Leg work, Pull-Ups, Rows and Planks for successories.
    Low on energy, and I'm a little down at the moment.

Bench -
    82.5kg *1, 72.5kg 2*1; Flys, Dumbbell Incline Bench, Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    I'm at sixes and sevens at the moment. I'm tired, slow, and I hurt in places I normally don't hurt in.

Deadlift -
    185kg *1; Double Leg work, Pulldowns, and Rows for successories
    185kg moved glacially.

SBD Saturday -
    Not really SBD work: Larsen Bench, Leg Press, Light Shoulders and RDLs
    Today was set up to manage fatigue

So...

My coach and I engaged in a hard conversation which took place over the whole of the week. I'm not responding well to training, and my lifts are slow bordering on labored.

Based on that fact, we've decided to withdraw from NYSs. It's been a hard 24 hours post W/D. But it is a fact, my body is not cooperating. I don't need to step on the platform. I don't need the experience. I don't need to prove anything...to myself or others.

But still, I'm really disappointed.

I started the new meds on Wednesday. I can tell they're in my system, as my pee smells smoky. Unfortunately, any positive effects won't show up for a couple of weeks.

Swear to god, I feel like Pheidippides at Marathon...I've been pushing myself for four years, and now that I've crossed a "finish line", I'm dead (metaphorically).

The only thing I can hang my hat on at the moment is that even though I'm mightily disappointed, I'm not depressed, nor have I lost my bearings.

All we can do at the moment is wait to see if, and how I react to these new meds. In the meantime, my programming will be changed as I'm not expecting to be competing any time soon.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the state of the union on 2/23/24 ...

Sorry to read this, but remember you did compete before. You sure are a strong person. I hope the new meds work well for you!

I'm logging in tonight because ...

I just saw a young woman, a teammate of mine just Squat 600lbs, to depth ... on her fist attempt at 600lbs.

It's posted on Instagram under @_digits15

I'm still taking it all in. Such heart ...

That's sure awesome.

dayyum, that was a solid squat.

BD, brother I know you're disappointed but look where you have been, what you were facing, and where you are now. You've fought and accomplished so much my friend. You'll see what the new reality of these meds brings you, and you will kick its ass.

3/2/24

On the new meds w1

Squat -
    130kg *1, 115kg 1*2; Leg Press 270kg 5*5, Single Leg Ext / Curl 80lbs 10*3; Pull-Ups, Cable Mid Rows and Planks for successories
    Tired, slow ...

Bench -
    85 / 87kg*1, 75kg 1*2; Cable Fly, Chin-Ups, Dumbbell Press, Tri's for successories
    Feeling a little more energy

Deadlift -
    175 / 190kg *1, 170kg 1*2; Double Leg Ext/Curls, Dumbbell Bench, Pulldowns, and Cable Mid Rows for successories
    Probably the best I've felt in ages

SBD Saturday -
    Larsen Bench 77.5kg 1*3, Leg Press 320lbs 10*3, Double Leg Ext/Curls 90lbs 30*3, IYTs
    And just like that, we're tired and lack "pop"...

So it's been a little over a week into the new meds. I definitely notice a difference in the little things: getting off the couch without a struggle, walking up stairs with a little more umph, sleeping better...much better.

Gym work is improving. You have to look for it, but it's there. Thursday was the highwater mark; Saturday was probably unrecovered. I'm looking forward to seeing how Week Two unfolds. As the doctor said, it will take 3-4 weeks before really noticeable improvements are seen, so I'm trying not to get too far over my ski tips.

On a completely different topic, we have multiple competitors down at the Arnold: a few women's masters lifters, one who set a new US and world record in the bench at 150.5kg; Another woman in the A7 Challenge who's going to be a formidable competitor in the coming years; and right now two women in the Grand Prix. I'm surrounded by such talent. It really is motivating.

On to Week Two ...

3/9/24

Squat -
    120 / 132.5kg *1, 117.5kg 2*1; Leg Press 290lbs 5*5 ... Pull-Ups, Rows, and Planks for successories.
    Not a bad session. Was able to take a bigger jump in the plate loading. Found some "pop" later in the session, took me by surprise it did.

Bench -
    85 / 90kg *1, 80kg 2*1; Cable Fly, Dumbbell Bench/Press, Tri's, and Chin-Ups for successories.
    Would have liked to have had some of Monday's "pop" today. Oh well ...

Deadlift -
    180 / 195kg *1, 172.5kg 2*1; Dumbbell Bench, Pulldowns, and Rows for successories.
    Not bad Pulls ... I'm not so concerned with my back blowing up, which is a plus. Surprised myself with the Dumbbell Bench, I repped out 55's for sets of 10 ... haven't done that in a while.

Saturday -
    Larsen Bench 80kg 3*1, Bench 50kg 10*6; Leg Press 330lbs 10*3; Single Leg Ext / Curls 75lbs 20*3; some light shoulder work.
    The Larsen work started off slow, but got faster towards the end of the singles. That seems to be a recurring issue. It takes some time to get everything firing. That said, I felt good enough to throw in the extra Bench sets of 10 between the Single Leg work. Had plenty of energy ... nice.

So we're into week three of the new meds. Any changes are incremental, more lifestyle improvements than anything else at the moment. I can get up off the couch without feeling like it requires divine intervention. My joints don't hurt as much as they have been.

It's hard to believe that I was this close (holds finger and thumb just so) to thinking about getting my left knee replaced the pain had been so bad. But by addressing this thyroid issue I'm much improved, and under the the new meds my knee looks almost normal, even after the hardest Squat / Leg Day training. I haven't stepped n a Squash court yet, and Golf season is not yet upon us, so I don't know what I'll be capable of ... but I'm hoping for a return to playing Squash without my knee blowing up, and playing Golf using my left side again. We'll see fairly soon.

New blood work is scheduled. I'm thinking that there might be a small tweak in the dosage (upwards).

Looking back at the last two weeks, I'm glad I withdrew from competing. I'm nowhere close to where I want to be ... but I am improving.

Onwards ...

keep the progress going! sounds great Boss.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    keep the progress going! sounds great Boss.
    Thanks Mr. B ...