starting strength gym
Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    From lunch today, 5/1/14
    Body weight 206.4

Overhead press, 105 for 5, 125 for 5, 140 for 7. e1RM = 168. For as heavy as 125 felt, I'm surprised I got 7. Going in to this, my legs were sore, my arms and elbows were sore, I had pretty low expectations. Once I got warmed up a little things went fairly well. The 7th one wasn't a grinder, but it was slow enough that getting 8 seemed unlikely.

I skipped dips for all of the aforementioned reasons. I may do some this evening...then again I may not...

We're trying to buy a new-to-us house, and the stress involved with that is distracting.

From Friday after work 5/2/14
    Body weight 206.8

Was feeling kind of beat up going into this one. Legs were still a little sore from squatting, weeding and wrestling with the tree roots the day before had my lower back feeling fatigued, and my arms were sore from the weeding and beating on various things at work for the last two days.

Deadlift 320 for 1 DOH grip, 370 for 1 mixed, 410 for 1 overwarm up felt good, but not quite as fast as last weeks 405, 385 for 5, and then paused deadlifts just off the ground 275x5. First time doing those and wasn't sure how hard they would be. These were easy, though I could feel my grip starting to slip on the later reps.

Chins I did 8 and called it a night. I was running out of time to pick up my buddy from the airport.

I was glad to be done with this. It went better than expected and I ended up feeling fairly decent throughout the weekend.

Sounds like you're having issues similar to mine - Real Life getting in the way of training. I'm trying to find a way to consistency, but yardwork, sports, etc. keep messing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallEW View Post
    Sounds like you're having issues similar to mine - Real Life getting in the way of training. I'm trying to find a way to consistency, but yardwork, sports, etc. keep messing with me.
    Definitely. I thought I'd have so much "extra" time with the wife and kids gone for a few days... not so much. I join up with them on Wednesday, so this week just became a deload week and hopefully in the next two months I get my conditioning from packing/moving boxes around.

I'm hoping to squeeze in a quick bench and squat session during lunch today, but I have about 8 other things that need to get done then too.

Bah. Decided to knock the errands out during lunch. After work is lawn mowing and then position round for league bowling and then packing. First time in a long while that lifting got the shaft...

During lunch today 5/12/14
    Body weight 206.4

I was hoping that I was going to feel fresh and ready to demolish some weights this week. But in reality I'm slightly jet lagged and the backs of my legs are so tight from the plane ride that I can't even touch my toes when bending over. My elbows feel fine, but my right forearm has some discomfort in certain positions. Lifting also doesn't feel like the norm right now, so I need to get that in check to make sure that I don't fall off the bandwagon.

The idea is to go a little light this week to avoid paralyzing DOMS that usually comes when I've taken a week off.

Bench press 185 for 5, 225 for 5. 185 felt really heavy. 225 felt pretty easy. In fact I did all 5 on one breath. Though about going for 10, but I decided this was not the day for that nonsense.

CBGP 205 for 6, 225 for 5 PR!. 205 felt pretty good, so I decided to load up 225 for a CGBP PR!

Felt a lot better about lifting after I had finished. It's a really busy week though so...

I've also been thinking about my programming and I'm going to change things up slightly. I'll still be doing Karl's 5/1 variant of 5/3/1. However, I'll be doing the heavy sets first (after warmups of course) and then strip off weight to do each prescribed lighter set in descending order. The lightest set will be done with pauses for that exercise, except for overhead press. I'll be AMRAP'ing the first and last sets.

From lunch today 5/13/14
    Body weigh 204.6

Squats 185 for 5, 225 for 5, and 275 for 5. I was planning to do 315 for 3 or 5 depending upon how it felt, but I took a phone call that lasted long enough by the time I got back under the bar my legs did not feel happy. I was also running short on time so I packed it in.

Side note. I picked up a concept II Model D rower last night on Craigslist. Seemed like a super awesome deal so I pulled the trigger without spousal approval...

A rower - outstanding. Jealousy abounds, though I'd have no room for the bloody thing, anyway. Give it hell.... ;-)

starting strength coach development program
    I also currently have no place for it! The deal was too good not to jump on it.

Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast