starting strength gym
Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond Alive: Iamsmuts' Training Log #2

Default Tuesday: Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW ?

I forgot to weigh in. I had to call the vet.

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x4
    225x3
    275x2
    315x1
    365x1
    385x3
    345x5
    305x5

Assault Bike
    2:00 @60 rpm = 25 cal.

One of my cats is at the vet. He couldn't pee. Crystals formed in his bladder. He's staying over night. Too bad he doesn't have health insurance.

Default Wednesday: Chins

BW 211.8

Chin Up
    BWx18,14,12,10,10,9

I was a few off on the first two sets. Not feeling so great today. I didn't sleep. I was worried about my cat. He's home now, but doped up and trying to pee every few minutes. If he blocks two more times, the vet said we should cut off most of his "winkus" and make him more anatomically female. She was joking when she said "winkus," but I used to have a vet that couldn't say "penis." She would start giggling, cover her mouth, blush, and point to it.

Assault Bike
    2:00 @60 rpm = 25 cal. (warm up)

I got The Complete Guide to Home Inspection in yesterday. I've now read the bulk of it. It's very helpful. I found so many new problems with the house that I'm renting! This should make open houses a little more fun.

Default Thursday: Squat (Medium Day)

BW 212.0

Squat (medium or something)
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x1
    345x1
    365x0

RDL
    135x5
    185x5
    235x10

Assault Bike
    2:00 @60 rpm = 25 cal. (warm up before squat)
    -----
    :20|1:40 x 2 = 34 cal. (104 rpm max, 20 cal. on first round = sickness)
    :10|:20 x 4 = 31 cal. (107 max rpm)
    :10|:20 x 4 = 26 cal.

The warm up felt difficult. I had to cut all the rounds short. I've been low on energy lately and I'm losing my tolerance for the suck, if that's what it's called -- the tingling, empty feeling, the one where it feels like your flesh is shrinking as you try to catch your breath like a fish out of the water. When I'm not used to this, I get scared and start to panic a little. I have to keep telling myself that it will go away and that all it means is that I'm working hard and getting better. Since I've been around for 40 years I should be more familiar with this feeling, but I'm not. I've got some work to do here.

This marks the 14th day of dry January. I got a filling in one of my upper front teeth. My nose and upper lip were numb for two hours.

Default Friday: Bench Press

BW 212.2

Run
    3.5 miles in 30:47
    (229 ft. el. gn.)

My legs ache. Running will come to a seasonal end soon. There's ice on all the southern sidewalks and the main jogging path.

Bench Press
    45x5x2
    95x4
    135x3
    185x2
    215x5x3

Pain tucking my elbows. Tendonitis never seems to go away. 5 months so far. . . . I'm sore as hell from the volume chin ups on Wednesday.

Incline Dumbbell Fly
    32x15
    42x15x2

If I can't be strong, I might as well look strong. I see more incline work in my future.

Assault Bike
    2:00 @60 rpm = 25 cal.

Default Saturday: Rest Day

BW 210.6

This is the 16th day of dry January. Like some kind of junkie, I'm plagued by an incredibly strong desire for sugar. . . . There don't appear to be any open houses worth looking at tomorrow. . . . My break is over on Tuesday and I'm still behind on several projects. A half written book is due in 10 days. That's not going to happen. . . .

I'm going to rest squats ~15% tomorrow and work back up with 8s.

Default Sunday: Squat

BW 210.0, waist 34.5

17th day of dry January. I've accidentally lost 4 pounds in whiskey weight.

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x4
    185x3
    225x2
    275x8x3

I reset for now to work back up starting with 8's. What manner of torture is this? Some kind of barbell conditioning?

Power Clean
    135x3
    155x3
    175x3
    185x3
    195x3
    200x3
    205x0 ??
    185x3,2

Strange how this works. I'm just fine, but at some point if I add a feather there is no chance. In any case, I haven't done these in a while, except for a few tries last week. I felt OK today.

Assault Bike

-----

I managed to go to three open houses today. The first was very nice. We saw a couple that was at another open house last week. They are taking their time as well. . . . I'd probably buy this house if it were in an area I liked more. (It had several not quite functioning as planned replacement windows. I've yet to see a good replacement window in any open house. . . .)

The second house was all messed up by the owner. They put in some kind of farm deck, using green plastic sheeting rigged up with untreated 2x4's. They had a giant rabbit sitting out back in the cold. The basement was furnished in 80's carpet and the heater was wrapped like a mummy in a thick asbestos shell. They had exposed honey-comb asbestos insulation ends right above their stoner son's basement couch. The attic had potential, but the stairs up were not quite shoulder width. The grass, so the agent says, goes dormant in the winter and turns white. Sure.

The third house was tragic. It was a 1904 house with a giant yard in an area spared from dish blight and vast expanses of treeless chain link yards. Many of the houses in the area are very well maintained. I could probably live here. If only. . . . The owner bought it just two months ago for about 80% less than the asking price. It was a very shitty flip. We could tell before walking in. The lattice around the porch was 3 different sizes. I looked under (using my trusty Pelican flashlight). Beyond the pile of rubble was a rusting propane tank resting against the house, far under the porch. Nice touch. Time bomb? The ceilings were all 9 feet and it had big windows. This house had so much potential. Of course, the windows were replacements and the seals were leaking in the biggest and most expensive. Water was condensing between the sheets of glass. . . . They hadn't installed any appliances. ?? Some of the sink drain lines weren't even hooked up in the half bath. The plumbing was not properly ventilated. . . . I checked several outlets using my cheap Sperry GFCI tester. None of them worked properly. For some reason they put non functioning GFCI outlets in all the bedrooms. Several had hot/neutral reversals. The "electrician" must have been an idiot or just a slob. . . . They ripped down the 2 car garage (that you can see on Google Street View) and put a small 120 sq. ft. shack on the slab, right in the middle. It looked idiotic. They ruined this house. The one next door had been renovated with lots of detail. It's beautiful. But the one I saw had been trashed by another fucking slob. Who are these stupid house flipping idiots?

Default Monday: Bench Press

BW 210.0

Bench Press
    45x5x2
    95x4
    135x3
    185x2
    210x1
    220x5x3

Still painful. And it's now getting heavy. I thought I'd get up another 20 pounds or so before it became difficult. Not so.

Triceps Bar Pull Over
    70x10
    105x10,9,6

Not sure what happened on that last set. I paused at the bottom and barely got the 6th up. You don't want to fail in the middle on these. . . .

45 Degree Raise
    22x10x3

90 Degree "Curl"
    45x20

Assault Bike
    2:00 @61 rpm = 26 cal. (warm up)
    -----
    :10|:20 x 6 = 40 cal.
    :10|:20 x 4 = 27 cal.

I had to stop because I got a cramp / spasm in my side. I wasn't doing well today anyway.

-----

It snowed an inch or so last night. The first big one of the season should arrive on schedule this weekend. This will probably put an end to pathetic real estate market for month or two.

I've now decided that I do not want new "stainless steel" (look) appliances in any house I might buy. They can look nice, sure, but they are chump bait on the flipped market: "Gleaming hard woods and stainless steel." Ya. Ya. About 3 grand and a weekend. So what. . . . If I manage to get the renovated house, I'm going to look into keeping the 40's Roper range. If it has working pilots, is reasonably calibrated, and a 7 quart dutch over will fit in the oven, I'll keep it. It looks pretty much like this:

If I eventually don't like it, I'll find something on my own. Low and mid range appliances are not expensive, but you often end up paying the seller enough to buy something like this:

or this

In a former life, I rented a place in Seattle with a high end Viking range. You could take it apart like a rifle to clean. It was nice, but a 30" mid range stove is all I need. The infrared broiler and convection was cool, but not used much.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Also, you can often (or at least used to be able to) pick up used commercial appliances in reasonably good shape in these parts with all of the restaurant turnover.
    Interesting idea. I could get some absurd 48" stove. . . . Some of the Elmwood mansions have massive ranges in them that would cost thousands to buy. I should loot one.

The one here isn't that impressive, but it's big:

179 Ontario St, Providence, RI 02907 | MLS #1112950 | Zillow

They put a modern one in this house that just sold, but it's still huge:

120 Ontario St, Providence, RI 02907 | Zillow

. . .

I'd like to convert this to a single family:

242 Adelaide Ave, Providence, RI 02907 | MLS #3030559 | Zillow

Default Tuesday: Deadlift + Light Squat

BW 209.2

It's the 19th day of dry January and I've already accidentally lost 5 pounds in whiskey weight. I even made cookies last night.

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x4
    225x3
    275x2
    315x1
    365x1
    390x1
    365x5
    315x8

I could only get one at 390. My stupid phone wouldn't stream any music. I waited over 10 minutes after my last warm up. I got cold and scared. Rep two got stuck an inch off the floor. Oh well. I'm very tired today. For some reason I couldn't sleep last night.

Front Squat
    135x5
    185x5
    205x5

I stopped there. Nothing feels right.

Assault Bike

-----

My winter break is over.

Got The Complete Guide to Garages in today. There are too many pictures and not enough content. This book doesn't have much promise. I'll read it later.

Default Wednesday: Chins

starting strength coach development program
    BW 210.8

Chin Up
    Bw+00x5
    Bw+25x5
    Bw+35x5
    Bw+45x5
    Bw+55x4
    Bw+50x5
    Bw+45x5
    Bw+40x5
    Bw+35x5
    Bw+30x5
    Bw+25x5

Assault Bike
    2:00 @60 rpm = 25 cal. (warm up before chins)

C2 Row
    500m x 3 (1:43.0, 1:43.1, 1:44.1)

My legs are very tired. They started burning and refused to play along. I'm several seconds slow on these. I planned on doing 4 at 1:38 before moving to the bike. Oh well. Called it off.

Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast