starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee pain on squat warmup sets

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I bought sleeves. I wore them at home before I left for the gym. Definitely helped! Less pain! Thank you.

Yes. OA in shoulders, knees, and feet. Sucky!

Quote Originally Posted by griswilliam View Post
    I’m 57. I have been having knee pain lately during my squat warmup sets- all the way up to 225. After that, the pain disappears. I’m currently at 260 volume and 285 intensity. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I have a theory about the joint during warmup. As i understand it, the jointcapsule starts to produce fluid during warmup that acts as a grease for the joint, This process takes longer when we get older. So I start my warmup with 10 airsquats, then I wait extra minutes and walk around the gym before I hit the empty bar, then wait a little more and so on. I guess it takes over 20 -30 minutes before the joint is ok to go for squat worksets. Im a geezer of 67 so I also use some wraps around the knee for warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by griswilliam View Post
    Yes. OA in shoulders, knees, and feet. Sucky!
    The single best treatment for OA is regular moderate to high intensity resistance training. It sucks during the warm up but please don't let the discomfort during warm ups detract you from continued training.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I second the knee sleeves. Doc Sully got me wearing those and they do help. Do you know if you have any form of arthritis and if so what kind?
    I just had my first squat workout with a knee sleeve and it was so much better. I only wore one on the knee that was bothering me. Should I use them on both knees?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sweeties View Post
    I just had my first squat workout with a knee sleeve and it was so much better. I only wore one on the knee that was bothering me. Should I use them on both knees?
    I would as it helps keep your knees warm and ready to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12