starting strength gym

Thread: Ring finger injury A2 pulley. Finger now is rotated 15 degrees internally

Default Ring finger injury A2 pulley. Finger now is rotated 15 degrees internally

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    30 years old.

6'1"
    225 lbs
    Squat 355
    DL 405
    BP 235
    SP 160
    Chins 85 lbsx3x5

Lifting for 3 years with many layoffs due to gov't lockdown, other injuries and school/work. Bought a home gym just as things opened up. These number are my most recent numbers and I have lifted heavier previously except for my squat.

Three weeks ago, I injured what I believe is my A2 pulley on my left ring finger while rock climbing. I was on a crimp, and when I moved dynamically off the hold I felt and heard a pop. The pop was audible to other people as well. The finger started swelling within minutes. I took the following week off from deadlifts, BP and SP as gripping the bar hurt a lot. I still squatted but even that increased the amount of pain in the finger. I tried H-taping the finger and that helped with squats but 135 for deadlift was too painful, and so was ~155 for bench press.

I deadlifted the 405 the day before I injured myself. I was having no problems with a double overhand grip at that time.

After that week I was away on holidays and unable to train. Finger hurts whenever I gripped anything.
    I noticed on the trip that my finger has rotated internally around 15-20 degrees (clockwise rotation along the axis of the bone when finger is pointed straight). I live in Canada and the holiday was in the US, and due to our poor communist health care still waiting to get in to see family doctor to see if I can get referred for some sort of imaging on the finger. I will not see my GP until next week and no clue how long after that it will take to get any imaging.

Anything specific imaging I should try and push my GP for when I see her?
    Alse thoughts why the finger may have rotated? Also, any protocols for rehab? I got home late last night, so I have not lifted in over a week.

Just go straight to a hand surgeon and stop wasting time. The longer you wait, the harder this will be to repair.

Unfortunately, going straight to a surgeon is not an option here in Canada if I use the public system, and Graduate studies' health insurance won't cover something like that if I try to use private.

I just you have to decide how important your hand is.