starting strength gym

Thread: Dumb lat injury I keep doing dumb stuff with

Default Dumb lat injury I keep doing dumb stuff with

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Around 2months ago I had a lat injury pulling a 120lb dumbbell out of the way for someone in an awkward position. Had a week's rest, slowly working up weights very similar to the Bill Star protocol. Around 2 weeks later I felt 90% recovered and close to working weights before the injury. In one session I felt no pain at all so went on auto-pilot forgetting about it and upped the intensity. Walked the dog (who's a bit of a lead puller) the next morning feeling fine, but the next day I felt like I was back at day one of the injury again. My gym motivation was shot at this point and I'm moving house so though I'd just have a couple weeks off so I can focus on renovations and light movement. Was feeling better again. Now, the stupidest thing of all, just 36hours ago I could smell dog shit and got into a shitty position to check the bottom of my shoe and felt a ton of pain again. Today I feel like I'm at day one again and feeling absolutely miserable with it. Paranoid I'm turning something minor into something chronic, have no motivation to get to the gym and even just using a resistance band for a couple of sets of 10 reps this morning I feel like I'm aggravating it.

I'm sure you'll all tell me how pathetic I'm being but I gotta vent somewhere. I'm meant to start painting the house tomorrow and feel USELESS.

Where is the injury on the lat, proximal or distal?

I think it's actually a little of both, maybe some teres major involvement too. I dragged the dumbbell almost from a quite deep squat positon and kind of frog leaped backwards. Idiot, but lesson learned.

A week or two after the original injury I was cable rowing ~170lb x 12 reps and benching around the same for a couple of sets with no aggravation. I was almost pain-free so forgot myself the following session and upped the intensity setting me back.

What are your lifts, and chins?

It's hard to say with any real vigor right now because of a couple of months of no proper training. My bests are around Squat ~350lb, Deadlift ~440lb, and Bench only around 240lb. Weighted Chins BW+70lb for a set of 5 which I was really proud of.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you get back on the program, as written, and train through it. If it gets a lot worse, get a diagnosis.