starting strength gym

Thread: Sharp pain under kneecap

Default Sharp pain under kneecap

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was squatting the other day. On my 3rd set, the first rep, I felt a sharp pain under my kneecap. Stopped, iced to make it feel better, felt all right the next day, a little stiff but nothing that unusual for this 67 year old. Next day in Jiu Jitsu did an easy take down of my training partner, felt that sharp pain again, and now the knee, while flexing, is consistently painful, a sharp tweak, at a particular place, about midway through the range of motion. Just moving the knee unloaded, or stepping up or down stairs I feel the tweak in the middle. Doesn't feel or look swollen.

My typical approach to these things is to take it a little easy until the sharp pain goes away, and then keep moving at a pace that feels right. I'm wondering if this sounds like a meniscus tear, and if so, should I be approaching this in a different way, and how long should I wait before seeking medical intervention. My recollection of other posts is that meniscus tears sometimes settle down and don't require intervention, but I'm not sure how long that settling down process might take.

Thanks.

1. Get an MRI, now.

2. Ju Jitsu is fighting. People get hurt in fights, since that is the point of fighting. You are 67. Use weapons instead of your knees in a fight.

Thanks. I’ll get the MRI asap. But Jiu Jitsu is so much fun.

How much fun is being hurt? That's the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much fun is being hurt? That's the equation.
    I’m 66 and I love Jiu-Jitsu too but I accept my limitations and have a few rules. You can probably guess them but they bear mentioning:

1) Never roll with anyone who’s not an advanced blue-belt or higher. Don’t roll with white belts unless you know them really well, they know your limits, and they’ve built up your trust by how they roll with others. I’ve only ever been hurt by white belts.

2) Don’t roll with young, agro guys (or girls for matter) regardless of belt rank.

3) Remind all your sparring partners that you’re old, in it for fun, and don’t want to get hurt.

4) Focus on your ground game. If you’re going to practice takedowns, go slow especially when you’re playing crash dummy for someone else.

5) Tap early. Tap often. Yeah, I know some partners hate when you do that.

6) Don’t look for opportunities to test BJJ out in the real world. At our age, looking for fights isn’t judicious and sad to say, remains a young man’s game!

All good advice. Thanks.

Curious if OP ever got a formal diagnosis for this.

starting strength coach development program
    Never did. I'm working with Nick D'Agostino, a PT and Starting Strength coach. He had me doing box squats, and that avoided the discomfort. I have worked my way back to where I was, and no pain or discomfort at all. Except for the pain of being old. Sleeping on my old shoulders is way worse than squatting on my old knees.