starting strength gym

Thread: Left Shoulder Pain / Injury

Default Left Shoulder Pain / Injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

i will try to describe my situation as detailed as possible so you know the whole story.

I started NLP in October 2023 and made good results so far.
    Squat: 142kg 3x5
    Bench: 92kg 3x5
    Press: 66kg 3x5
    DL: 164kg 1x5
    PC: 66kg 5x3
    Chinups Max 5 (but not very good form).

High: 180cm Bodyweight went from 96kg to 110kg.

I couldn't train propper for the last 3 Weeks because of illness but my main concerne is the shoulder pain that occures since early february. It may even started earlier. After my Squat reached 120kg i had extrem pain in my left biceps after squats. Sometimes it was more sometimes less. I still could press afterwards but it may be that it still affects the press. In my trainings Log i wrote in December down that my shoulder hurts after squatting and than i startet to feel it also in my biceps. So now i think the shoulder problem and the biceps problem are somehow conected.
    As i started with training i had mobility issues and the squat hurted my shoulder because of bad mobility. But there i just could bite trough it. This dissapeared after two or so month. Later i noticed that my shoulder feels somehow funny. As if it's dislocated or so. I just continued training during that time. At the beginning of february than i had shoulder pain during the night. Not normal pain but while moving my arm in different directions. Like a sharp sting somewhere in the joint. If i wanted to grab something in front of me or so. This only occures at nights and during the days i had no problem moving my arm. Only if i tried to raise my arm laterally i could feel slight pain somewhere in the shoulder. Maybe the rotator cuff. But it never was that painfull like at nights. And it felt like a different pain and not that sharp stinging feeling i get at nights.
    Now a few days ago it started also to hurt during the days same way like during the nights. I couldn't even raise my arm over 90° without pain two days ago. Today it got little better and i can raise my arm again. Once in a while during a movement i still feel sharp pain. Internet researche says it may be SLAP Tear. At least the symptoms seems similar. But why did i only had this pain at nights for a few weeks i don't know.

Today i was at the doctor and he gave me a prescription to the ortophedist. This appointment is in one month. The doctor told me to not do strength training as long as my shoulder hurts. So i came here to ask what i could do. I would say Deadlifts are save so this shouldn't be no issue at all. Than my shoulder got worse over the last few weeks even though i didn't train at all because of the illness i get. So doing nothing didn't made it better. I would say doing squats at least with a little less weight should also be ok. What about the press and bench? The last few days i have shoulder pain in the lockout position. But not every time. So if i warm up propperly and have no pain during the movement could i still do a few lighter / medium heavy sets or should i just listen to the Doctor and do nothing?

It’s your grip; show us your squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    It’s your grip; show us your squat.
    I recorded penultimate training before i got knocked out by the illness.

1. Set

Top Set 5x 142kg - YouTube

2. Set

1st Backoff Set 5x 124 kg - YouTube

3. Set (different perspective)

2nd Backoff Set 5x 124 kg - YouTube

Update:

Today i was fit enough for training again. I startet light to look how my shoulder would behave. After warming up a little i could move my arm with less pain. I Squated 100kg for 5x5 today and it wasn't painfull. The shoulder felt a little of while holding the bar on the back but not very painfull.

Same goes for Presses. After warming up i could do the press motion without any pain. Only at the top during lockout i noticed a light pain in the shoulder. I did 50kg for 5x5.

Deadlifts also like expacted was absolutly painfree.

So i think it's relativly save to train at least with light weights but i will try to put on weight with further workouts slowly.

Can't wait to figure out what the problem with my shoulder is and why the pain comes mostly during the night.

These are high bar squats. Was that your intention?

Actually i did purposfully put the bar higher as i tried to figure out how to avoid the biceps pain. I did try lot of different grip variations. And putting the bar higher did help a little bit to avoid the pain in the biceps with higher weights. It wasn't gone completly but i think i is a little bit better with the bar higher. I try to put the bar lower every now and than to see if the biceps pain gets better. I hope that i will be able to squat low bar someday without pain. I even would be happy if i could squat high bar completly pain free tbh.

But now that i think about my shoulder first startet to pain that hard sometime after i start doing high bar squats. Is there a possibility that with trying to avoid the biceps pain i fucked my shoulder up with high bars? Or is this just a coincident?

starting strength coach development program
    Ceasing training due to a single joint having an unpleasant sensation is virtually never the answer, barring a few unique circumstances. If you had a knee monoarthropathy due to gonorrhea infection, it is certainly recommended that you cease all training until you prevent amputation of the limb. For a routine orthopaedic injury, training around the injury is almost always the right answer.