starting strength gym

Thread: Constant lower back soreness or tightness

Default Constant lower back soreness or tightness

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    At this point in my advanced NLP I’m experiencing constant soreness in the left side of my lower back. Looking at anatomy images it looks like it’s originating from either the iliocostal or quadratus lumborum. Does anyone else have this issue and what can I do to relieve this? Usually a training session removes all pain but then it tightens back up in between sessions. It’s more of an annoyance at this point but just really stiff in the morning. I am 45 so I’m used to waking up hurting but any suggestions welcome.

How much weight have you gained since you start the LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much weight have you gained since you start the LP?
    17 kilos, but the gaining is slowing now. I went from 82kg 15% body fat to now 99kg at almost 18%.

You look kinda skinny to me. A skinny back is a poorly-supported back.

This.occasionally happens to me. It goes and comes mysteriously. If there's any correlation it usually pops up when I need to examine heavy pulling volume. A week of block pulls sometimes snaps it back to normal.

I find foam rolling about 30 seconds gets rid of it completely, reproducing the effect training has. You could buy yourself a cheap foam roller and give it a roll in the morning and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You look kinda skinny to me. A skinny back is a poorly-supported back.
    I’m on a “see food” diet and eating myself silly daily - planning to get to at least 240 lbs. but I’m a hard gainer for sure, always have been.

Lack of sleep is probably not helping you if that's still happening. I assume it is because I doubt you sold your children. I know my back feels worse if I have a poor sleep.

I ended up getting a thick memory foam topper for my existing mattress in the interim before a new mattress. It seems to have improved things a bit for me in taking pressure off certain spots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    Lack of sleep is probably not helping you if that's still happening. I assume it is because I doubt you sold your children. I know my back feels worse if I have a poor sleep.

I ended up getting a thick memory foam topper for my existing mattress in the interim before a new mattress. It seems to have improved things a bit for me in taking pressure off certain spots for me.
    Yeah, I’m getting my sleep back on track again. But that’s probably what got this flaring up again. I’ve got a lacrosse ball to do trigger point release in my back but this is too deep to really get at now since my back thickened up from this program. I’m also not foam rolling my back too much bc one time I did, I actually made it a lot worse.

I’m starting to wonder now if a lot of my aches are related to my diet as well. I think I eat enough, but maybe I need to eat more. I’m kinda hitting a wall on all my lifts now.

This also begs the question: you say you are on a “see food” diet, but are you eating good, quality food, or are you eating like an idiot?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This also begs the question: you say you are on a “see food” diet, but are you eating good, quality food, or are you eating like an idiot?
    I’m eating good stuff. I eat mostly all home cooked food since I have 3 kids. But I eat all the leftovers and clear their plates as well. Classic meat, veggies, carb type dinners. I eat a lot of additional hamburger every day and/or chicken. Then I usually eat a few fast food burgers per week and a couple home bake pizzas.

And I also eat a lot of bananas and drink additional protein shakes at random throughout the week when I feel I can stomach more food without too much acid reflux. I was doing GOMAD for a couple months but had to stop due to horrendous reflux.