starting strength gym

Thread: Hernia repair pain - 6 years post op

Default Hernia repair pain - 6 years post op

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently started wearing a belt during deadlifts, and I’m not sure whether it’s a coincidence or not, but I’ve been experiencing a lot of pain in my initial hernia repair. The surgery was over six years ago and other than the occasional sharp pain has been fine.

I’m just wondering if this is common, I guess I gotta talk to my surgeon but honestly he is pretty shitty. For example, he would not do a bilateral repair since I did not have an active hernia on my other side and when I asked what to do to make sure I don’t get another, he replied “don’t lift anything heavy”.

Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced this, the weight isn’t maximal yet as I’m doing nlp, so I’m not sure what the deal is.

Did he do a mesh repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did he do a mesh repair?
    Yes it was a traditional mesh open repair

But unilateral. So he could do another one in the future. And bill for it. Great guy.

But unilateral. So he could do another one in the future. And bill for it. Great guy.
    I can't help but wonder... Since the ACA requires insurance companies to cover preventive medicine, has there been pressure from insurance companies on providers not to prescribe preventive procedures, like bilateral mesh repairs for a (so far) unilateral problem? Just curious...

starting strength coach development program
    My other side went within a couple of months of surgery. It doesn’t bother me still so I haven’t gotten it fixed yet, but yeah he was a real piece of shit.