starting strength gym

Thread: Pectoralis major, clavicular head insertional pain?

Default Pectoralis major, clavicular head insertional pain?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’ve been developing this “tendinitis?” in my pecs that seems to be stemming from the clavicle. My clavicle really aches where the pec is attached. It has been on both side but is now only affecting the left side. Usually feels a lot better during workouts but does usually ache when I bench press. It’s starting to be problematic during power clean as well. Are there any good rehab methods to get rid of this rather annoying pain? It gets really stiff at night when I sleep too. If I spend time rolling my pectorals with a lacrosse ball it alleviates the pain temporarily. It’s causing a lot of tightness in my shoulder girdle in general. Any suggestions on how to work this out are much appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, after a bunch of trial an error I’ve found that this issue is somehow originating from my left trapezius muscle. Aggressive trigger point release and foam rolling my lat seems to alleviate the flexibility and helps with warmup. Workouts usually make it feel better. But then on off days it returns.

Is there such a thing as tendinitis in the trapezius? My posture has gotten better but it had been pretty poor in the past which may have contributed to a lot of my previous shoulder girdle issues.

I’d really love to figure out how to get rid of this pain. Any thoughts or do I need a diagnosis from a doctor?

If anyone has followed this thread: I finally think I’m getting rid of this issue. I started trying heavy narrow grip cable rows around 8-10 reps 2-3 sets letting my scapulae stretch fully before contracting them and pulling. One session after both shoulder and clavicle are 30% better. Going to try a few more sessions and see if it alleviates the issue. It’s making my low bar squat position A LOT easier to get into and get tight.

This is the way things are supposed to function.

On second thought it may have been the incline bench presses I started since I still can’t bench bc of my ribs. Either way, it seems to finally be going away after several months.