starting strength gym

Thread: Distal bicep tendinitis, unable to bench

Default Distal bicep tendinitis, unable to bench

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello and thank you for your guidance,

I am a beginner lifter following the Starting Strength program for 6 months after a 10-year period of no physical activity, although I was a high-level thrower until my mid-20s. I am 36 years old, 5’9”, and I weigh 250 lbs. My lifts for 3 sets of 5 are:
    - Squat: 315 lbs
    - Bench: 260 lbs
    - Deadlift: 430 lbs
    - Overhead Press: 185 lbs

I have been experiencing very intense pain across my biceps during the eccentric portion of my bench press. Any weight above 200-225 lbs causes both my biceps to feel like they are ripping apart, with a burning sensation and pain to the point where I cannot perform the exercise. The next day, I feel a slight burn in the area and a tingling sensation. This has happened 3 times over the past 3 months, while benching twice per week. When this occurs, I stop benching, substitute it with a similar movement, and take anti-inflammatories. I then start again with less weight than I can lift for 3x5 for a few sessions, but when I push myself to lift at maximum capacity, the injury reappears.

I have visited doctors in my country, Greece, and their advice is to take anti-inflammatory medicine and to "stop doing what hurts.", since I have distal bicep tendinitis. I understand that a layoff is essential, but I need a long-term solution so I can keep lifting in the long run.

My biceps do not feel any pain during the following exercises, even with similar intensity: Overhead press, pull-ups, incline bench press, and plate-loaded machine presses (I tried this as an alternative). However, I get irritation and pain when I perform bicep curls even with very moderate resistance.

I am trying to control the weight in the eccentric phase of the bench press and have noticed that this causes more irritation. However, I cannot see how I should avoid controlling my eccentric when benching as heavy as possible for 3x5.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. The program has been working very well for me—I am getting stronger, my body has changed drastically, and I haven’t felt this eager to push myself in a long time.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Best regards,
    Panos

Do chinups hurt the injury?

Show us your squat.

Thanks for answering.
    Chin-ups do not hurt, nor do other pulling movements.

Sorry, I don’t have a video but I will take one.