starting strength gym

Thread: Safe to begin NLP while dealing with golfer's elbow?

Default Safe to begin NLP while dealing with golfer's elbow?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

I recently discovered the Starting Strength program and after skimming through the blue book, I'm looking forward to beginning NLP very soon.

The problem is that I've been dealing with a pretty severe case of golfer's elbow for the last 8 weeks. It is slowly starting to get better. I'm actively doing stretching and exercises with a Theraband Flexbar and am also a couple sessions into Rip's golfer's elbow protocol which again, does seem to be helping, despite the initial pain.

That said, I am a bit of a glutton for punishment, so I'm at the point where I'm itching to start lifting again, BUT, I do NOT want to exacerbate this injury. Even if I have to hang back and wait it out a couple months, as much as I don't want to, I will if that is the recommendation.

So my question is this: would it be recommended to avoid all lifting and just continue to work on the golfer's elbow issue, start NLP but do so lightly, OR, start NLP and do it right while suffering through the elbow pain?

I appreciate any and all advice!

Quote Originally Posted by OatmealAddict View Post
    Hi all,

I recently discovered the Starting Strength program and after skimming through the blue book, I'm looking forward to beginning NLP very soon.

The problem is that I've been dealing with a pretty severe case of golfer's elbow for the last 8 weeks. It is slowly starting to get better. I'm actively doing stretching and exercises with a Theraband Flexbar and am also a couple sessions into Rip's golfer's elbow protocol which again, does seem to be helping, despite the initial pain.

That said, I am a bit of a glutton for punishment, so I'm at the point where I'm itching to start lifting again, BUT, I do NOT want to exacerbate this injury. Even if I have to hang back and wait it out a couple months, as much as I don't want to, I will if that is the recommendation.

So my question is this: would it be recommended to avoid all lifting and just continue to work on the golfer's elbow issue, start NLP but do so lightly, OR, start NLP and do it right while suffering through the elbow pain?

I appreciate any and all advice!
    Have you ever seen a recommendation on this board to cease all training until an injury “heals”?