starting strength gym

Thread: Eye problem

Default Eye problem

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’ve had blood vessels burst in my left eyeball and I’m prob at 20% vision in that eye. I just woke up like that. I did train the day before. Ophthamologist has said it’s diabetic retinopathy related, I’ve diabetes for 25yrs +.
    I’m having surgery next week to remove the blood, replace the lens and some laser for the blood vessels. He will also check first if I have any retina detachment, he couldn’t see any test but wants to check further next week. He’s told me no lifting or extended bending over. I have no doubt that lifting has enormously helped me over the last 6 or so years with everything including diabetes management.
    Any view here on my lifting future post all this eye stuff ? I’m only at 450 deadlift, I’d like to get to 500 at least, without going blind of course !, 57yo.

Since going blind is a bad idea, just do what the guy tells you for maybe 3 months post-op. Just to be sure.

You better just hope it's not a retinal detachment but if they've caught it early enough even that might be ok.

I used to work at an optometrist cutting out lenses for glasses etc. One of the good ones who was mostly about helping people while making money as opposed to making money and maybe helping some people. Was an interesting job. Lots of old people.

Hopefully he does a good job on the lens replacement.

Cheers, thanks Rip

Retinopathy doesn't have anything to do with increased intraocular pressure: it's a proliferation of blood vessels which happens at high glucose levels. The body starts to build new vessels behind the retina, which causes it to detach. The blood supply that "bursts" vessels when you lift (i.e., in the sclera) is different.

However, you may have a retina that has detached, so it's probably worth avoiding anything that might cause it to peel all the way off.

I had a minor retinopathy treated with steroids. It is mostly healed, though some scarring is visible on images, but no subsequent eye exams have shown any disruption to those blood vessels, despite regularly getting petichiae when I lift. Get it fixed and get back to normal.