starting strength gym

Thread: Lateral shoulder pain while pressing

Default Lateral shoulder pain while pressing

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For a couple of weeks now I've been dealing with a nagging pain in my left shoulder, what feels like basically under the deltoid right in the middle, towards the top. Most motions are fine, but I feel it while pressing and benching, typically in the middle of the movement. It's fine during lockout and during the first 1/4 of the motion of raising my arm. When I palpate the deltoid and dig hard I can feel tenderness under there, which I don't feel if I do it on the other side.

Typically I can make it sort of go away if I do a shitload of various shoulder warmup drills which mostly just feel like throwing the kitchen sink at it. The first warmup sets hurt, and then usually the work sets I don't notice it so much. But lately it's starting to get worse, and I'm beginning to notice it even outside of the weight room and just lifting my arm in certain positions.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm likely gonna need to modify both my press and my bench for a while but have never done that before so I don't really know what I'm doing. Thanks everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by BenpMelton View Post
    For a couple of weeks now I've been dealing with a nagging pain in my left shoulder, what feels like basically under the deltoid right in the middle, towards the top. Most motions are fine, but I feel it while pressing and benching, typically in the middle of the movement. It's fine during lockout and during the first 1/4 of the motion of raising my arm. When I palpate the deltoid and dig hard I can feel tenderness under there, which I don't feel if I do it on the other side.

Typically I can make it sort of go away if I do a shitload of various shoulder warmup drills which mostly just feel like throwing the kitchen sink at it. The first warmup sets hurt, and then usually the work sets I don't notice it so much. But lately it's starting to get worse, and I'm beginning to notice it even outside of the weight room and just lifting my arm in certain positions.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm likely gonna need to modify both my press and my bench for a while but have never done that before so I don't really know what I'm doing. Thanks everybody!
    I’m going to ask you a question, and it isn’t to be pedantic, but I know that you coach individuals who are training and this is good education for you. What inserts right in the area you are talking about, can get irritated in a press with less than optimal technique, and might feel better with general shoulder warm-up drills?