starting strength gym

Thread: Minor case of pinched nerve?

Default Minor case of pinched nerve?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys -

Yesterday I squatted 1x5RM and did 2x5 SLDL at 20% off my deadlift 1x5RM. It was my first time doing SLDL and my lower back was very sore. I filmed myself and made sure my back was flat (other than 1 last rep of set 2). I usually do 2x5 light DL on light pulling days at 10% off but I wanted to try SLDL to target back strength.

A couple hours later, with no warning at all, I had this shooting pain down my left outer thigh. It went away in less than 5 seconds but it was painful. It came back just once again that evening. Same thing came and went in less than 5 seconds.

So I took it easy and paused lifting for 2 days (1 day was supposed to be a rest day anyway). And it never came back again.

I'm 34 years old, 6 foot tall, 180lbs. 5RM: SQ 255lbs, DL 255, BP 150.

A couple questions:
    1) Most online articles consider pinched nerve a long-term condition due to old age and obesity. My case is likely different. Should I expect it to be long-lasting? Can pinched nerve be a minor temporary issue?
    2) Was this caused by bad form? Weight too heavy? Anything I can do to prevent it?

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbonustoday View Post
    I wanted to try SLDL to target back strength.
    Because the squat and the deadlift neglect back strength. Got it.

A couple hours later, with no warning at all, I had this shooting pain down my left outer thigh. It went away in less than 5 seconds but it was painful. It came back just once again that evening. Same thing came and went in less than 5 seconds.

So I took it easy and paused lifting for 2 days (1 day was supposed to be a rest day anyway). And it never came back again.
    This is sciatica, probably arising at the piriformis. It is not always possible to determine what causes a temporary back pain. But in your case:

You are severely underweight, and underweight predisposes to tweaks like this. Why have you chosen to disregard our advice about gaining weight? Do you have a calendar shoot coming up?

I am plenty agree with Rip. At 180 lbs for 6 foot, the your paraspinal muscles must be just weak shit (sorry for my latin).

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    I am plenty agree with Rip. At 180 lbs for 6 foot, the your paraspinal muscles must be just weak shit (sorry for my latin).
    Fortis fortuna adiuvat, frater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because the squat and the deadlift neglect back strength. Got it.

This is sciatica, probably arising at the piriformis. It is not always possible to determine what causes a temporary back pain. But in your case:

You are severely underweight, and underweight predisposes to tweaks like this. Why have you chosen to disregard our advice about gaining weight? Do you have a calendar shoot coming up?

Appreciate the feedbacks. Yes I'm working on gaining weight.

In the meantime, any suggestion on what I should do for sciatic nerve tingling? The initial pain has reduced to just tingling when i bend down with a flat back (kinda like the deadlift's starting position). It was gone completely for a couple days so I resumed lifting at 10% off. But the tingling came back a day later.

Get a piriformis release.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbonustoday View Post
    Hi guys -

Yesterday I squatted 1x5RM and did 2x5 SLDL at 20% off my deadlift 1x5RM. It was my first time doing SLDL and my lower back was very sore. I filmed myself and made sure my back was flat (other than 1 last rep of set 2). I usually do 2x5 light DL on light pulling days at 10% off but I wanted to try SLDL to target back strength.

A couple questions:
    1) Most online articles consider pinched nerve a long-term condition due to old age and obesity. My case is likely different. Should I expect it to be long-lasting? Can pinched nerve be a minor temporary issue?
    2) Was this caused by bad form? Weight too heavy? Anything I can do to prevent it?

Thank you all.
    You dont need to do SLDL right now, just do the novice program then advanced novice set up till you cant recover from it. SlDL is a intermediate and up lift for guy who need like a medium pull day.