starting strength gym

Thread: Uneven squat soreness

Default Uneven squat soreness

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been squatting for over 12 years with what I thought was good form, but now into my 40s, I've noticed that for the past 2-3 years, my right (dominant) leg always gets way more sore, stiff/tensed after each squat session.

I've filmed myself and visually it seemed like the proper stance so I went to a physiotherapist that showed me that in the bottom of the squat I ever so slightly shift my weight to the right leg. He recommended I do single legged deadlifts and some lunges/bulgarian squats but it hasn't helped much in rectifying this problem. Both legs feel equally strong by the way when working them out individually, I can do pistols, I can use the same weight for lunges/bulgarian squats without issues.

1 month ago I was doing some barbell front lunges with 185lbs. I was still a bit sore, in the right leg as usual, from a heavy squat session a few days prior but the weight felt light. On the last rep of the last set I felt something pop on the inside of my right leg and felt pain right away.

Visited the physio again and he confirmed a grade 1 adductor tear in the right leg that healed nicely within 2-3 weeks after doing front box squats and other light exercises, slowly building back up to my usual weights.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what might be happening and how I can correct this ? I realize I'm getting older and the last thing I want is to get benched due to a more serious injury caused by this pesky problem.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hyperg View Post
    I went to a physiotherapist that showed me that in the bottom of the squat I ever so slightly shift my weight to the right leg. He recommended I do single legged deadlifts and some lunges/bulgarian squats but it hasn't helped much in rectifying this problem. Both legs feel equally strong by the way when working them out individually, I can do pistols, I can use the same weight for lunges/bulgarian squats without issues.

1 month ago I was doing some barbell front lunges with 185lbs. I was still a bit sore, in the right leg as usual, from a heavy squat session a few days prior but the weight felt light. On the last rep of the last set I felt something pop on the inside of my right leg and felt pain right away.

Visited the physio again and he confirmed a grade 1 adductor tear in the right leg that healed nicely within 2-3 weeks after doing front box squats and other light exercises, slowly building back up to my usual weights.
    Did you learn anything?

Sadly, no. I try using the left leg more if that's what you mean but it's not really working.

I'm stuck on trying to figure out why I started using the right leg more (?).

You should have learned that you don't go to a "Physio" for barbell coaching, or much of anything else. Did he happen to check you for a leg length discrepancy? Post a video so we can see your squat.

Thank you Rip!

This guy didn't, but a chiropractor did mention 2-3 years ago that my right leg was longer. He wasn't checking for that, I was there for a massage and he just noticed it randomly. I asked the physio about it and he said everyone has different limb lengths and not to worry about it.

I just researched this quickly and saw that leg length discrepancy can cause all of my issues.

Is there anywhere I can go short of a doctor to properly diagnose this ?

By the way, you know this already, but you rock!

sorry, one more update, more stuff came to me - I had completely forgot about this.

I had gone to another physio ( yes, I know, but I really wanted to find the root cause ) and there he told me that I had a fallen left ankle. Could a fallen left ankle cause the right leg to seem longer, or the other way around ?

It's so weird that I never pieced all of this together, but then again, I didn't have one guy look at all these issues in one session

Did he tell you what a "fallen ankle" is? I can't find the term in a search online...did you mean fallen arch?

starting strength coach development program
    yes, sorry, I was too excited when that came back to me and I wrote incorrectly. Fallen arch.

Reading Rip's post post on LLD makes me wonder why all these professionals weren't able to put everything together. I mean, one diagnosed the fallen arch, the other diagnosed a leg being longer, a third actually only noticed that my right leg had a smaller calf and correctly asked if I had a strain when I was younger - I did - which has left me with less mobility in that area.

I look pretty healthy/fit , I'm 6'2 - 205lbs and athletic so I guess nobody thought I could be having issues :|

or they weren't that good