starting strength gym

Thread: Left leg pain in squat and deadlift

Default Left leg pain in squat and deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm a 43 year old male weighing 185 pounds. Squat 265x5, Deadlift 300x5, Press 145x3, Bench 200x5. I've been experiencing a sharp pain that seems to originate in the upper, outer area of my left glute that radiates down through the hip and down the back area of my left thigh. Occasionally radiating all the way down through my left calf. My squat and deadlift are getting derailed. During the initial descent in the squat, the pain is acute and severe. My online SSC and I have tried narrower stances and narrower toe angles which haven't improved. In the deadlift, the same sharp pain gets worse in the glute and hamstring area while taking a grip and slightly rocking back to maintain shoulders over the bar. Due to the pain, my left leg doesn't carry its share of the load and my right leg is working harder. In my day to day activities I'm not bothered by the pain at all.

I have an annual physical coming up. What's the right path for diagnosis? I'd like to spend as little time in the medical realm as possible.

Thanks,
    Chuck

This is a classic sciatica presentation. Usually resolved with a piriformis release, by a therapist who knows how.

Rip,

Thank you for your analysis and pointing me in a direction which doesn't involve my GP. I've booked an appointment with a sports therapist that advertises relief from sciatica/piriformis syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a classic sciatica presentation. Usually resolved with a piriformis release, by a therapist who knows how.
    I'm curious what this looks like when a therapist does it properly. Is the patient a passive recipient or do they have to physically do anything during the process? I imagine it's a more painful, but more satisfying, version of what can be done at home with a lacrosse ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    I'm curious what this looks like when a therapist does it properly. Is the patient a passive recipient or do they have to physically do anything during the process? I imagine it's a more painful, but more satisfying, version of what can be done at home with a lacrosse ball.
    You cannot do an effective piriformis release to yourself with a lacrosse ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You cannot do an effective piriformis release to yourself with a lacrosse ball.
    Rip, understood. It's tough to get much pressure from the ball - even on a hard floor.

Can you elaborate on what a proper piriformis release looks like? The OP might like this information, too. Here is what I received once:

1. Lay face down on massage table
    2. Flex left knee so that tibia is about vertical
    3. Therapist applies pressure to left glute with hand or elbow, while externally rotating left leg (the bent leg).
    4. Therapist repeats process at slightly different positions along the glute
    4. Repeat above steps for right side

Is that about right? Thank you for your time.

starting strength coach development program
    That's not the way I do it. My way hurts more than that, and it works the first time. But I'm not a therapist, so I won't be making a video.