starting strength gym

Thread: 45 year old starting novice program with meniscus issues.

Default 45 year old starting novice program with meniscus issues.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    For the last couple years, I’ve had this pain on the medial:inner side of my left knee.I only really get this pain when walking up/down steps and really bad pain when in the bottom of a barbell squat or in the starting position of a barbell deadlift. I don’t get any popping or locking.

I went to a ortho and he suggested that it could be a meniscus tear or some type of degenerative meniscus issue and ordered a MRI. I get the MRI in a couple days.

I’m 45 years old and I just signed up for the Starting Strength gym in Orlando, Florida and I start training there on November 4th.

Can anyone recommend a hinged knee brace or wraps that could maybe help me prevent this meniscus tear medial knee pain while I begin the program and hopefully improve leg strength?

I am hoping I am able to train around it and eventually maybe fix it through training. I definitely don’t wanna get surgery or any of that crap if possible.

Thanks so much. Sorry for the super long post.

A meniscus tear is aggravated by the compression between femur and tibia, and no brace will mitigate this. Usually, this pain settles down over time, and you can train through it, unless the tear is a displaced flap that causes mechanical problems.