starting strength gym

Thread: I feel like a retard for having to ask this, but I don't have the flexibility to hold

Default I feel like a retard for having to ask this, but I don't have the flexibility to hold

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    ...the bar behind my head for the squat. I thought my shoulders would gradually loosen up, but they haven't. I've had to hold it on my shoulders with bent wrists, as that's the only way I can get my hands that far back, and as the load gets heavier it is getting nigh on impossible for me to hold the bar, not to mention incredibly painful for me wrists adn shoulders. I think holding the bar like this is very dangerous to because if it slips out of my fingers and falls between my back and arms at that angle my lifting days are over. So I need to figure out a way of improving the flexibility of my shoulders. What can I do coach?

If you're an older guy, and you have tried several ways to stretch them out, this may be the way they are because of bony changes to the joints. Have you tried our standard recommendation of a vicious massage?

Had the same problem for several months. Finally went for a massage, and to tell you that it was painful is an understatement. The problem, for me at least, was not the shoulders per se, but very tight pec minor muscles. Much better now and finally able to hold the bar properly. Highly recommended.

Jefferson, I had similar issues with getting proper position of the bar and hands, to the point that it was actually the limiting factor in squatting, as it was too painful to progress. Finally it occurred to me to place my hands all the way out by the collars - still only touching the bar, of course. It requires me to trap the bar with the sides of my hands when lifting it out of the hooks, but I have had no problems with it, and have been happily squatting (?) for a few months ever since.

where does one go for this type of massage and what would the name of the massage be?

do i go to chinatown and say "vicious massage, please"? or do i go to a PT?

this is useless info without more explanation.

starting strength coach development program
    A vicious massage is obviously obtained from a vicious massage therapist. A vengeful lesbian, perhaps?