starting strength gym

Thread: NSCA certification

Default NSCA certification

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach, I'm interested in getting an NSCA certification (CSCS exam), and I'm a bit nervous in prepping for it. There's an overwhelming amount of "suggested" study materials that cost money that I don't have.

I'm asking, if I were to take this, would there be any works that the NSCA sells that I should look into? If not, how would I prep for this?

I figured you'd give me a straight answer, and appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

You must know I have dropped that credential. But it is taken directly from the study guide, best I remember. Their point is to make you spend the money.

I was thinking about taking the NSCA cert until I saw that you dropped yours. Are there any other CSCS or CPT programs/organizations you would recommend? I'm planning on doing your BB cert next time you come down south (probably have to wait till next year, can't afford a plane ticket) but unfortunately most places (YMCAs particularly) required a formal CPT or CSCS cert from a major organization...

I was thinking about just doing the cheapest one I could find so I could get a job since from my experience most of the "certified" trainers I've met follow the same BS routines and have a limited understanding of individual needs and how to customize/personalize programs for their clients (IMHO, but then I haven't been a ton of them).

Just get the one main study guide. What are you wanting to do with your CSCS?

Yeah, but Rip took the test over 20 years ago.

I went through an Exercise Science based undergraduate program and was going to take this exam. I got all the study materials from a friend (who unfortunately dropped the few hundred dollars for it). I went through the study material, and it was not profound. It's just exercise physiology and probably has the required legal knowledge the NSCA wants you to know.

I may still have the study guide book if you're interested in the topics, but if you look through exercise physiology material and their website, I'm sure it'd be plenty. It's just that their method of coaching the lifts is kinda gooberish, and it's all conventional ex-phys info.

Default Clarification

Wanted to clarify on a post I made earlier in this thread. I wanted to be clear that I'm not saying that cert programs are BS (least not all of them) just saying that many trainers that I've met rely solely on what they learn from their program/cert and either stop learning after the get that or, more likely just stop assimilating and using the information they obtain. That was my point about going for a cheaper cert. As long as I make it a point to continue my education is there a particular one that is better for recognition?

PS
    Coach,
    Finally got my copy of Practical Programing today, 1/3 of the way through already, amazing, lots of great stuff to start assimilating. Much thanks for how much you manage to get across in text, can't wait until I can attend one of your certs.

The primary value of a certification is the insurance it allows you to buy so you can work. The best certification that anyone will ever in a million years develop will merely serve as a starting point for good coaches. Right now, just get the cheapest one that gets you some insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The primary value of a certification is the insurance it allows you to buy so you can work. The best certification that anyone will ever in a million years develop will merely serve as a starting point for good coaches. Right now, just get the cheapest one that gets you some insurance.
    Thanks, will do. Anyone here have any reqs (i.e. know of a cheep(er) cert that allows for decent insurance) or where I can find info about the insurance. Thanks for the help.

Mike, I would see if any NSCA members would be willing to lend or sell their books. I've seen similar threads pop up on Crossfit or PerformanceMenu regarding selling or lending out materials.

Or simply buy the materials and sell them on ebay or see if you can find them there or amazon or some other site.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all the replies.

Like Rip said, my main point in getting the cert is just so I have a credential and the insurance, and while I'm aware that Rip dropped his, it's still an easy indicator that you're ready and able(hm...) to coach people.

I'm still a ways off from this as I'm just starting college, but I was mainly curious if the test is rigidly based around their textbooks regarding form, programming (i.e., wrong), or you could wing it with general knowledge. I'm figuring it's the former.

Thanks for the offers, anyway.