starting strength gym

Thread: Fencing and Starting Strength

Default Fencing and Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear Coach Rippetoe,

I have just ordered SS 2nd Edition and am looking forward to reading it and putting it's content to good use. I have been training for 3 years with the mistaken belief that bodybuilding type programmes would add muscle and improve my strength and speed. To an extent, they have, but the payoff for my time investment has been pretty lousy - something I suspect, having read your articles, you could have told me 4 years ago had I crossed your path.

Being a scientist, I naturally decided to do some research after making this fuck up (better late than never, right?) and discovered EliteFTS, Joe Defranco, Westside and the Starting Strength community. I've just completed Joe Defranco's 12 week BLABA program for the second time and made some gains in strength. What I enjoyed the most was that the programme was hard work and felt physically challenging. I like to work and train hard. But I also want to train smart and I'm not sure that a programme made up of large amounts of accessory work is the best for my goals (stronger, faster, bigger).

My question to you (we got there eventually, sorry) is whether I can do the SS programme as part of my training for sabre fencing. Currently I spar on a Thursday night and Saturday afternoon for around 2hrs. I don't object to training whilst sore but from a recovery point of view am I going to be able to do the SS routine and fence without frying my legs and halting progress?

I appreciate your time.

With thanks,

Chris

PS, I'm 30 next month, weigh 200lbs. My current 1RM squat is 210lbs, deadlift 200lbs, Bench 200. Weak, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGibbons View Post
    am I going to be able to do the SS routine and fence without frying my legs and halting progress?
    Progress in fencing or strength training? At your level of advancement neither should interfere with the other.

My aim is to improve the athletic part of my fencing through strength training. I also want to just get stronger. My concern is that progression in strength training following the SS programme would eventually leave my legs too fatigued to fence at practice. I guess I cross that bridge when I get to it.

Cheers,
    Chris

That hasn't been my experience.