starting strength gym

Thread: lower back tweak

Default lower back tweak

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just came in from squatting in the garage. On the way up on my last set of squats with 315, I experienced some sort of shift or squish (i.e., not a pop) in my lower back. Unfortunately it did seem to be in or at least adjacent to the spine. I am pretty sure I did not collapse into flexion; if anything my lumbar spine was in slight hyperextension.

I am not asking for a diagnosis, although any guesses are welcome. My question is simply this: If whatever just happened was a serious injury, like a slipped/herniated/ruptured disc, would I be in debilitating pain right now? As of now, my lower back is tender and a little sore, but I can sit and walk around just fine, if a little stiffly. As a matter of fact, after the bad squat, I did 5x5 weighted pullups (no, INDTP) before calling it quits. Basically I just want to know whether serious lower back injuries usually have immediate onset of serious pain and limited range of motion, and whether there is still a chance this thing is serious despite not being that bad at the moment.

Off to take a contrast shower.

Not necessarily. It occasionally takes a while. If you don't have numbness or tingling down a leg by Tuesday, you're probably okay.

Not the answer I wanted, but thanks all the same. Will cross my fingers for the next couple of days.

Alright, three days later and no radiating pain, numbness, or tingling. Just a quarter-sized spot that is sore to the touch, an inch to the left of the spine at L3-L4 level. Wife tells me that this indicates a muscular injury rather than a disk injury, so good news there.

It's presumably not a big, vascular muscle belly that's hurt; on the other hand, I found one thread in which you indicated that the Starr protocol can help even with lower back ligament injuries for reasons we don't fully understand. Therefore, I'm thinking of doing his high-rep, low-weight GM protocol until things feel right (maybe a week or so), then returning to squats at a bit of a reset. Sound good? Thanks.

Sounds like you are now ready for your chiropractor. Or just train through it.

Good point.

All: Any recommendations for a good chiro in the Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Rockville, MD area?

No, we don't maintain a chiropractic directory.

starting strength coach development program
    First chiro appointment next week.

This may be of some help to others wondering how to choose a chiro: I called a local gym I'd heard good things about on this board--Supreme Sports Performance and Training in Rockville, MD--and asked them. Got an enthusiastic referral to a guy who actually trains there.