starting strength gym

Thread: Bar position - squat video check

Default Bar position - squat video check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

Here´s a clip of me doing 150x3. Haven't seen myself squatting for a while and it looks like I could have the bar a bit lower. What's your view on my bar position and of course anything else that I should do to squat correctly?

http://www.youtube.com/user/FinnToni.../0/SKaHajT3A0s

Thank you,

Toni

This is a typical high bar back squat done with poor upper back extension. But you knew that.

See how your back is rounded? Don't do that. Try to push your pecs up towards the wall, like you're trying to reach it with your chest. That helps me straighten my back out. Your first and third rep were a little bit high. I'm working on consistent depth, too, fwiw.

Also, you're doing something weird when you take your breath. It looks like you take a deep breath in and immediately let it out. Take in that breath, hold it, chest up, and squat.

I thought depth was fine tbh. But it does seem to be problematic to try to squat lowbar style with the bar placed on top of your traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a typical high bar back squat done with poor upper back extension. But you knew that.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    See how your back is rounded? Don't do that. Try to push your pecs up towards the wall, like you're trying to reach it with your chest. That helps me straighten my back out. Your first and third rep were a little bit high. I'm working on consistent depth, too, fwiw.

Also, you're doing something weird when you take your breath. It looks like you take a deep breath in and immediately let it out. Take in that breath, hold it, chest up, and squat.
    I suppose my back gets rounded because of the bar position. And probably the lack of strength in my abs.

I'm holding my breath all the way, down and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    I thought depth was fine tbh. But it does seem to be problematic to try to squat lowbar style with the bar placed on top of your traps.
    I think the depth was ok too.

You're so right about the bar position. It's healthy to see oneself squatting.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-25-2010 at 09:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

I suppose my back gets rounded because of the bar position. And probably the lack of strength in my abs.
    Probably a lack of strength in your back. And trying to drive your hips with the bar on your neck.