starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear USAW, please prove to me that you are not incompetent

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It doesn't matter what went down becuae the results were so spectacularly fucked up.

"Nope, because I could have flown my ass to Iowa if I wanted to be there as a spectator."
    Same deal with the olympics, super bowl, world cup, masters, world series, etc.

From the mission statement of USAW
    "The Mission of USAW shall be to enable United States athletes to achieve sustained competitive excellence in Olympic competition and to promote and grow the sport of weightlifting in the United States."

Great job promoting the sport. I can't tell which they are failing at harder.

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I've no desire to discuss this further, either in defense of USAW or chastising them. I see a lot of people bitching because they didn't get something for free and they're upset shit didn't go their way. Was I a bit bothered when I was driving back from a beer run to find out that I wasn't going to be able to drink too much and yell at a computer screen...sure. Did it ruin my night? Nope, because I could have flown my ass to Iowa if I wanted to be there as a spectator. I don't know all of what went down, and neither does anyone else that is complaining.
    Fine. Don't discuss it further. But, I hope you don't really think that this has anything to do with getting something for free or having something go my way.

A lot of us are working our asses off trying to grow the sport of weightlifting. It's hard to grow a sport if people don't know what it is, and it's hard for people to know what it is if they can't watch it. I can only hope that the attention this matter is receiving will prevent this situation from happening again. I'm CERTAIN that USAW isn't happy about this, and I am CERTAIN that they didn't want this to turn out this way. Now, it needs to be fixed for the future.

If you want to fly somewhere to be a spectator, may I suggest the North Carolina State Championships in September: http://weightliftingevents.com/ncchampionship2011/? There should be over 100 lifters there who are traveling from all over the country. We're expecting a good number of national level lifters, and there are cash prizes. We expect to show both the lifters and the spectators a very good time. Rumor has it that they are trying to put me in a dunk tank. I don't doubt that LOTS of people will pay good money to throw a ball and dunk my fat obnoxious ass underwater. You should come. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    If you want to fly somewhere to be a spectator, may I suggest the North Carolina State Championships in September: http://weightliftingevents.com/ncchampionship2011/? There should be over 100 lifters there who are traveling from all over the country. We're expecting a good number of national level lifters, and there are cash prizes. We expect to show both the lifters and the spectators a very good time. Rumor has it that they are trying to put me in a dunk tank. I don't doubt that LOTS of people will pay good money to throw a ball and dunk my fat obnoxious ass underwater. You should come. Really.
    I'll come, but I'm coming to lift. Just registered. I've got a couple of other lifters that might make the road trip with me. Appreciate the invite.

A lot of us are working our asses off trying to grow the sport of weightlifting.
    If I remember correctly, you told me you've been training as a weightlifter for less than a year. So "working your ass off" is probably a slight exaggeration.

I'll just bet, atw, that I could get even your ass to a high work level, and in far, far less than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by atw_abn View Post
    If I remember correctly, you told me you've been training as a weightlifter for less than a year. So "working your ass off" is probably a slight exaggeration.
    I know T-Bone. No, it isn't.

I have a public training log that shows every workout that I've done for the last 2 years. So, you don't have to "remember" anything. You can just go read it.

And, when did I say anything about my own lifting? Did you even read my first post?

I'm talking about growing the sport.

I've posted plenty of times about this in the other thread on USA weightlifting. Take a look if you want.

I have a USAW club. They'll be training in a few minutes. I have at least 5 lifters doing their FIRST meet in 11 days. Do you know how many USAW clubs there are in this country? Do you know how many of them have added 5 brand new lifters in the last two weeks? I bet I can guess the answer if you can't.

There was a reason I linked the NC State Championship. It's because I am doing everything that I can do get both nationally known and brand new lifters to compete there. Just like I've done for every other meet I've either lifted at or helped promote in the last 10 months.

If you doubt the fact that I've worked my ass off in the last year or two, you can have a chat with any weightlifter or weightlifting coach in this country who has coached me, lifted with me, advised me, or asked me to help promote them, their team, their materials or weightlifting in general.

Have a chat with Rip. He just spent a few days at my gym and met all of my brand new lifters.

I may never be the best weightlifter in the world. In fact, I'm sure I won't. I will be wrong about a lot of things as a lifter and as a coach. But, don't ever doubt my fucking work ethic. People who know me don't ever do that. Maybe you should come for a visit.

Rumor has it that they are trying to put me in a dunk tank. I don't doubt that LOTS of people will pay good money to throw a ball and dunk my fat obnoxious ass underwater. You should come. Really.
    I would make the trip just for this. Like I said before, I gotta do something to cheer myself up, and you have been endlessly helpful in that regard!

:O Oh no he dii'nt!!

You should pay more attention atw, truly

starting strength coach development program
    You don't know TBone very well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast