starting strength gym

Thread: Progress check

Default Progress check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi Mark,

I recently started the SS program as a result of what happened to me around ten or eleven weeks ago. To cut a long story short I was unceremoniously beaten on my way home from a night out by a group of thugs. I was deeply upset by this and decided it would never happen to me again. A close friend recommended this program and I bought the book and thought it was a great inside into the world of barbell training. I feel a sincere thanks is in order for it!!!

On to the crux of this post, I have been training for around ten or eleven weeks now following the SS program and am unsure if my progress is adequate. I feel that at this point should say that before I started I was quite the weed in terms of physical stature! I am 19 & 5'8.

Before SS:
    Squat 20x5x3
    bench 20x5x3
    press 15x5x3
    Dl 20x5
    Bodyweight 48

I am very embarrassed by those numbers but at least now I am moving in the right direction. As I am from Ireland all the weights are in kilograms my apologies for all inconviences this causes! My current figures are:

Squat 70x5x3
    Bench 55x5x3
    Press 37.5x5x3
    DL 90x5
    bodyweight 57

Are these numbers in line with where I should be? Thank you for any and all comments left. I am very new to the world of weights so please feel free to slate the meagre numbers if you see fit!

Thanks again for everything Rip.

Not to beat on you again, but you are not following the program. Read:http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

Thanks for the reply, I'll endeavour to get my bodyweight up with lots of milk and hopefully the lifts will follow.

I don't get it, Mark. What's wrong with that? Seems like solid progress all around. Gains 9kg of bodyweight in 10 weeks, that's a kilo a week or 2 lbs. All his lifts seem to be going well.

You weigh 57 kilos, which is about 125 pounds. I train a 5 foot tall woman that weighs about three pounds less than you. She squatted 105 kg in competition and deadlifted 120 kg at the same meet. You need to eat, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    I don't get it, Mark. What's wrong with that? Seems like solid progress all around. Gains 9kg of bodyweight in 10 weeks, that's a kilo a week or 2 lbs. All his lifts seem to be going well.
    He started with 20 on squat, bench and deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    given that his starting bodyweight was 105 lbs at a height of 5'8... that bar may not have been moving all that fast for him at 20kilos. That's a female fashion model body weight.