starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift starting weight too low

Default Deadlift starting weight too low

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,
    I started training about 2 months ago and have have nice progress in all of my lifts (squat 135>255, deadlift 110>230). This is where my question lies. I have no idea why I started so high in the squat, and low in the deadlift, it was not a matter of strength. My own way to address this would be to just wait for my squat to stall, and let my deadlift get ahead. What do you think would be the best approch?
    Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I increase the squat by 5 lbs and deadlift by 10 lbs each time.

The books both clearly state that everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, will start higher on the deadlift than the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrak View Post
    Hi Rip,
    I started training about 2 months ago and have have nice progress in all of my lifts (squat 135>255, deadlift 110>230). This is where my question lies. I have no idea why I started so high in the squat, and low in the deadlift, it was not a matter of strength. My own way to address this would be to just wait for my squat to stall, and let my deadlift get ahead. What do you think would be the best approch?
    Thank you in advance!

Perhaps this is the problem. A video would help.

Please, no.

Some people are just retarded when it comes to deadlifting. I think that's in the book.

Hi Rip,
    Thank you in advance!

Why overanalyze? You are making progress in the squat and deadlift. If you haven't had to reset, I don't see where there is a problem.

Thank you for your replies, though even not remotely helpful. I know it was retarded, but the question was; how should I correct it? I have had five replies to this thread, and not a single helpful answer (though nice try John).

Why don't you deadlift 255 x 5 next workout? If that goes, do 275 x 5 next workout, 295 next, and that should have you back in balance.

Thank you for your replies, though even not remotely helpful. I know it was retarded, but the question was; how should I correct it? I have had five replies to this thread, and not a single helpful answer (though nice try John).
    Post a video of your squats here, chances are you are squatting high.

Is THAT helpful?

starting strength coach development program
    Scarbo, my squats are not high. My deadlift IS stronger than my squat is, I just started with a lower weight on the deadlift because I am a retard. Thank you Rip. It is not because I could not figure out something to do, it would however be disastrous if my deadlift stalled because I didn't use my brain - again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast