starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: silly/inexplicable powerlifting federation rules?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPEteach View Post
    Some people even resort to wrist wraps but that is just a painful/expensive band aid.
    To clarify: they resort to wraps to comply with a non-existent rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Next time a judge tells you that, you tell him he's full of shit and ask him to show you where in the rule book there's such a thing, simple enough. If he doesn't back down, make a huge fuss about it.
    So anti-social. Better to be a team player, not rock the boat, and kneel before Zod. And if an amateur athletic organization you pay to compete in orders the family to be axed Delbert Grady style, a real athlete mans up and doesn't whine about what has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesKantor View Post
    To clarify: they resort to wraps to comply with a non-existent rule?
    Just as people quarter squat because they don't know better, some people bend their wrists back into a painful position because they didn't know better. When they find out there is a way to squat pain free they may change or they may not because they are set in their ways.

So anti-social. Better to be a team player, not rock the boat, and kneel before Zod. And if an amateur athletic organization you pay to compete in orders the family to be axed Delbert Grady style, a real athlete mans up and doesn't whine about what has to be done.
    Now you're just being silly.

Yes, I think he is.

Default thumbs on top

my whole team has done two usapl meets in wisc and we all had thumbs on top no one missed any squats, if I am to the party late, sorry!

Megan Salyars got 2nd at high school nationals squating 370 raw with thumbs on top, go megs

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by AusPEteach View Post
    Now you're just being silly.
    Well, hyperbolic for sure.

Well, hyperbolic for sure.
    I went to a serious gym for the first time today. People were talking about 370kg+ deadlifts, although the "serious" guys were absent, due to a meet tomorrow.

The guys there asked me to hold onto the bar for my back squat. I politely declined, saying that it causes me injuries, which is true.

thanks for all the input guys, i'll get a video up in the next few days, as my laptop ist kaput. the funniest part was the head judge asking if I had a medical condition which required me to squat with hands atop. I was very confused by that question

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    thanks for all the input guys, i'll get a video up in the next few days, as my laptop ist kaput. the funniest part was the head judge asking if I had a medical condition which required me to squat with hands atop. I was very confused by that question
    If you had a medical condition which prevented you from gripping that way and you have a letter from a physician (up front) about it, they would probably allow it. It sounds like that judge may not have agreed with the interpretation and was trying to give you an out. Or he could have been the one that wanted it that way.

The rule, as written, leaves some room for interpretation. Some feel for safety reasons (right or wrong) that it should be performed in this way. The lifters I lift with have talked about it but had never heard of it being enforced in that way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123