starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks for the Atlanta Squat Camp Yesterday

Default Thanks for the Atlanta Squat Camp Yesterday

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm glad you offered it. I wanted you to know I thought Coach Steve Hill was an awesome coach and the venue was impressive.

I'm a 49 year old man that lifts in my garage. Steve was not unsympathetic to my negatives: old, stiff, skinny (6', 175), and stubborn.

But he must have a teacher's heart because he clearly wants to help people succeed. Therefore he wasn't going to let me leave with any illusions about what a proper squat was.

I wasn't keeping my knees out. I was descending too slow. I wasn't committed to squatting deep. He patiently but firmly cued me for all these things.

Today I have soreness in my adductors and a realistic sense of what a real squat demands. Steve also gave me individualized advice on things like programming and diet. Any future miscues will be on me.

Even though I lift at home, when I visited a nice place like AK Crossfit (and Asheville Strength), I envied missing out on being around the positive people they have there.

Again, thank you for offering the camps because for me they are an invaluable complement to all your company's other resources. I look forward to any Press camp you'll have in Atlanta.

Our pleasure to sponsor Steve at AKCF. He does them every couple of months. Watch our website for the next one.

I'll have to piggyback on this post, because Charlocity2 said it so well.

I am an ex-Crossfitter, who received minimal instruction on the back squat while at my old box. Basically, get below parallel and you got a high five. (I will try not to denigrate my old box too much further than that statement.) I stopped Crossfit and bought Starting Strength, and tried to implement in my garage. However, I was afraid that I'd ingrained bad habits and didn't feel comfortable relying on video instruction. My confidence in the squat was lowering. Then, this past Friday night, I saw your Twitter stream post that there was 1 spot left and took the bait.

Steve was a great instructor. The small class size was reassuring, allowing for as much one-on-one instruction as needed, but also gave us perspective on other people's geometries and faults and how to adjust and correct for those. I felt good that my squat wasn't total crap, but I still have some work to do on getting my knees out - HARD! I feel it today, too, oh yeah.

I am already signed up for the June deadlift and power clean camp. Can't wait til then, either, based on my experience yesterday.

Last November's pulling camp was a great. We had a full day and Steve even gave us pointers on the snatch afterwards.

Another satisfied customer.

I'd like to thank Steve for the knowledge imparted and I look forward to the pull camp in June.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess I better get those checks mailed out...