starting strength gym

Thread: Tangible Results

Default Tangible Results

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This may be redundant and repetitious but I feel compelled to give thanks where thanks are due. The results of last month’s Seminar in Costa Mesa are the hits that just keep on coming.

Two weeks ago I decided to see what my max single in the bench press was. I got 275. This is remarkable for me because the last time I tried this was nearly a year ago after over a decade’s hiatus from benching and got 255. Astounding.

After giving that some hard thought I decided last week to try for maybe a 355 or 365 single in the deadlift. It was the first time I'd tried this in nearly a year too and I got 355 doing sumo style then. I gained confidence as the week went on and decided to open with 365. This went up easy so I took a flyer on 375. It was challenging but clearly not the best I could do. But I left it for later. I have no doubt that I am just a month or two away from 405.

I managed to bench 275 and pull 405 in my early 40’s so at 61, this was entirely unexpected for me. With some vigilance and attention to my depth in the squat I am within turning the corner on a 1000 lb. total.

Thanks again Rip, this wouldn’t have happened had I not finally landed here after decades of wandering in the vast wasteland of Silly Bullshit. Also thanks to Juli for the fine tuning and improvements she got me to try in the bench and of course stef for getting my deadlift in some reasonable semblance of good order.

It was good to meet in CM. Glad we could. Only thing missing was Spar.

Nice job Mark. That's some good stuff there. There''s no better advertising than results.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    There''s no better advertising than results.
    I have no doubt there are a number of people who envision a gigantic green and purple neon sign that says NUTSWINGER floating over my head flashing on and off with arrows pointing at me. But this thread is about results that the House of Rip helped make happen and metrics are tough to argue with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I have no doubt there are a number of people who envision a gigantic green and purple neon sign that says NUTSWINGER floating over my head flashing on and off with arrows pointing at me. But this thread is about results that the House of Rip helped make happen and metrics are tough to argue with.
    Screw 'em.

starting strength coach development program
    Thats a pretty impressive Bench for anyone, and at 61 is very impressive, nice work