starting strength gym

Thread: Help me help my dad

Default Help me help my dad

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi Rip

First, I would like to thank you for your excellent books and your contribution to the strength training community.

Second, I was hoping you, and anyone else with experience, could give me some advice for my dad. Here is the case:
    My father is 64 years old and has worked manual labor, mostly construction, for almost 40 of them. 10 years ago he had had enough and was forced into early retirement. In short, he has got

Spinal spondylosis
    Spinal disc hernation (L4-L5)
    Arthritis: shoulders and knees
    Sciatica

This was the basics he could give me, and I haven’t spoken to any of his doctors. He been on painkillers for a long time and is in pretty much constant pain. Several days, or up to a week, of rest lets him function somewhat normal for his age and history. However, working around the house (gardening, generally fixing shit), driving and walking longer distances can put him out for weeks in pain.

He is about 280-290 pounds (at 6’0) and probably has a bit of fat to lose, if it would spare his knees.

What would you have him do, and what can I do to help him? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

I'd put him on the Atkins diet for about 2 months and get him used to the idea of changing things for the better. Then I'd start him on the novice program and omit the squat until his deadlift gets to 185. By then his back will not be hurting anymore, and he can squat without a lot of knee trouble.

This sounds interesting. Post updates?

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll convince him to try it, and I'll see if I can coach him once or twice a week.

Of course I can post updates on any success.