starting strength gym

Thread: Inconsistent Bench Press Bar Path

Default Inconsistent Bench Press Bar Path

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip,

I have spent some time trying to find this answer on Google but I came up empty handed. When I am benching I do not have a consistent bar path at the bottom or top of the lift, and I am not sure how to cue myself to fix it. Last night the bottom of the lift varied between the bottom of my sternum and about the nipple line - with every rep being different. I realize I haven't spent years and years grinding out efficient technique, but I know I need to fix this because I am not able to make the jumps that I should be since my technique is such a mess. If this cue is in SS:BB3 and I am missing it on the page just tell me the page number and I will reread it again, and find the answer.

I appreciate your time. I also will be up in your neck of the woods next Friday & Saturday. If you prefer I can save this question for when I pop in then.

The bench press is the easiest of the five lifts to learn correctly, i.e. to make a correct bar path. Generally, when we show people how to bench the first set ends with correct form. Make sure your eyes are doing what they are supposed to, and that you're touching your chest in the right place with the empty bar.

Thanks, I will do some technique drills today and then put them in place on Monday's workout.

Quote Originally Posted by wakk0 View Post
    I have spent some time trying to find this answer on Google but I came up empty handed. When I am benching I do not have a consistent bar path at the bottom or top of the lift, and I am not sure how to cue myself to fix it. Last night the bottom of the lift varied between the bottom of my sternum and about the nipple line - with every rep being different.
    The hardest part of benching is maintaining the tight arch throughout not only the set but each rep. I would bet money that this is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wakk0 View Post
    I also will be up in your neck of the woods next Friday & Saturday. If you prefer I can save this question for when I pop in then.
    Regardless of everything, if you have the time and can get coaching from someone at WFAC, you should do it.

Maybe your focusing too much on getting the bar to touch a specific place on your sternum, ribs etc. Remember this varies based on anthropometry and how high you lift your chest and arch your back. If you have read SS3 you know how to maintain a your chest/back position by driving the bench and the bar apart.

All you need to do is try and maintain this tightness and reset yourself if necessary like we reset ourselves in the deadlift, don't let your form deteriorate.

If you focus on you reference point on the ceiling throughout the movement and keep your position the bar should automatically find it's groove without you having to think about it.