starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye gaze in the deadlift

Default Eye gaze in the deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the book you suggest that we should look down to a point 12-15 ft away and that this will put the neck in normal anatomical position when deadlifting.
    Does this apply to the short torso short arms guy who deadlifts with an horizontal back as well?
    Also, should the neck be held in anatomical position or simply "not up".
    Because the model in the pictures doesn't seem to have the neck in anatomical position (if I understand this correctly) but the illustrated dummies do.
    When I deadlift my back is close to horizontal (I have a short torso (47,5 cm) but not short arms (67,5 cm)) it feels very uncomfortable keeping the neck in anatomical position , I have to look like 20 cm in front of me.
    Should I just look 12 ft away like it's written in the book and don't stress about it?

Your neck should be in normal anatomical position, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Do what is necessary.

Ok, I will.
    What does it happen during the movement? Do I keep looking the same spot? What about lockout, same point?

Same point. Read the book.

personally, I've found that the eye gaze 12-15 feet in front is the single most important cue to keep the bar in contact with the shins/legs for the duration of the lift. until i started pulling with this method, keeping the bar against the body was a struggle and lead to other issues

I wondered about that myself.
    After a little experimenting, I found that keeping the neck straight, but gazing "up" in the starting position worked best for keeping the focus on the same spot without hyperextending the neck.

Thanks for the clarifications and for not asking if I am a female.

The neck in neutral is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    personally, I've found that the eye gaze 12-15 feet in front is the single most important cue to keep the bar in contact with the shins/legs for the duration of the lift. until i started pulling with this method, keeping the bar against the body was a struggle and lead to other issues
    I find people tend to try to do the lift as if it's a high bar squat with the bar in their hands if they look forwards - they keep their torsos very upright, then wonder why the bar drifts forwards as they bend their knees first in the descent, etc. I often have to turn people away from the mirrors, if one is present people cannot resist gazing at themselves with an impotent's frustrated desire.

Fucking mirrors in fucking gyms.

starting strength coach development program
    coach I esperimented today and I have 3 options:
    1. focusing the same point with my head neutral but at lockout my head will be inclined towards the ground
    2. keeping the head neutral till the knees have extended and then gazing forward
    3. focusing the same spot and keeping the not neutral but pretty close like the model in the book

which one do I chose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast