starting strength gym

Thread: Rip, do you coach visitors?

Default Rip, do you coach visitors?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, if I could get to WFAC do you ever do one-on-one coaching sessions during the week?

No. But my staff does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No. But my staff does.
    Do you shoot visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No. But my staff does.
    Just so happens, I had a training session on Monday at WFAC with Bryan Fox. I have had another session at WFAC with a SSS Platform coach and have also attended one SSS. Bryan helped me tremendously with my Squat and also Deadlift. It was money and time very well spent. I even pulled a PR on Deadlift both for weight and reps. If you need help, you can't go wrong with scheduling a session with Bryan or any other member of the WFAC staff which Rip recommends. I'm planning on hitting him for additional tune-ups during the next 2-6 months.

It still looked f*ing dry out that way vs. a bit south. Peak wildflowers may still be 3-4 weeks out. I'll be on my Bike in April, Hill country and Big Bend in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emancipated Freak View Post
    Do you shoot visitors?
    No, but I glare at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    It still looked f*ing dry out that way vs. a bit south. Peak wildflowers may still be 3-4 weeks out.
    This is a very bad drought.

Basically I'm struggling mightily with the SS style of squatting and rather than dismiss it after several months of self-attempted learning and reading your book, I figure I should at least go straight to the source and get some quality coaching on the method before going a different route.

When I say struggling I mean my ATG High-Bar is around 300 but I can't even get 175 out of the rack if the bar goes any lower than the top of my traps. I hope I'm doing something really really wrong...

If I try and go any lower than the top of my traps, the bar seems to dig into my shoulder bones no matter where I put it or how tight I get my back. I don't think it's a mobility issue because I can squat high bar with a grip so close my hands literally touch my shoulders.

I watched the video you did on squat grip with Bryan Fox but like I said, I must be doing something really really wrong because that didn't help either.

I guess my main question is: Are these common problems that beginners have with the low-bar squat and are you confident that Bryan or one of your coaches could fix this pretty easily? I would be coming all the way from Chicago so just want to make sure it would be worth it.

Second question is: Is it your contention that everybody should be able to squat more weight with the bar position you teach than with a high-bar position, or are there common body types out there that do much better with the high bar position?

Thanks for your time,

Adam

There might be flexibility issues that prevent the low bar position, but nothing that would make this much difference to someone who can actually obtain the position. As for the potential to do more weight low, have you read my analysis of the position in the book?

I've read the book a few times and I'm familiar with the argument for using the low bar position and arranging things the way you suggest.

When I see you or your guys squat on YouTube and do it right, it looks like a great way to squat. (When I see somebody do it wrong, it looks both ugly and dangerous as fuck.)

How do I tell if it's my flexibility rather than just, uh, a very low lifting IQ I guess. Do you have any indirect diagnostics? Everything in SS related to squat flexibility I can do

With a proper set-up, lack of muscle mass in the rear delts should really never be an issue, correct? I'm over 200 lbs. and under 15% body fat so I doubt this is what's holding me back, but it definitely feels like it because the bar is like trying to rip my bones off every time I squat.

Thanks,

Adam

Maybe you'd better post a video. You're having some rather unusual problems.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't have a video camera at the moment but will put a video up as soon as I get one.