starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old myths

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Air/wind resistance of a larger surface area appendage moving through space AND TIME. This is why I only wear tight Under Armour shirts, better aerodynamics.
    *Fixed. After all, you'll save time by not working the upper body in the gym.

Maybe the coach thought it'd be impolite to say "And I don't want my QB shooting up a bunch of steroids during the off-season." Press conferences are theatre; they should be treated as such.

For whatever reason, that seems to be the consensus approach with NFL quarterbacks. Most of those guys have very undersized arms.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidlyfat View Post
    Maybe the coach thought it'd be impolite to say "And I don't want my QB shooting up a bunch of steroids during the off-season." Press conferences are theatre; they should be treated as such.
    Or maybe the coach is just as stupid as he seems to be. I'd never put words in his mouth.

The only thing I can think is that somehow these coaches are afraid that their throwers will lift a bunch, change the anatomy of their shoulders via increased muscle mass, and that it will jack up their throwing motion. Not that this idea makes very much sense, but that's the only thing I can figure as to why these coaches say this crap.

The only thing I can think is that a lot of coaches who should know better are stuck roughly 200 years in the past when it comes to strength training, and their athletes are strong in spite of their strength training regimens, not because of them.

This is all I think about when I hear stuff like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody.ever
    I'm sorry son, we're going to have to cut you from the team. You just got too damn strong

Jim Steel actually talks about this kind of thing briefly in the Randy White interview. They spoke about how a strength and conditioning coach will automatically get canned if they hurt a multi-million dollar player under the bar. The interviews with the players from back in the 70's and 80's talking about how they trained with barbells to prepare for the season are a huge change from what seems to be the current fear of training with barbells because of the perceived potential for injury.

Though of course they will use massive amounts of sprint and plyometric style workouts with these athletes which lend themselves to repetitive motion injuries, but that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by blandrick View Post
    The only thing I can think is that somehow these coaches are afraid that their throwers will lift a bunch, change the anatomy of their shoulders via increased muscle mass, and that it will jack up their throwing motion. Not that this idea makes very much sense, but that's the only thing I can figure as to why these coaches say this crap.
    Just look at Tebow. He obviously couldn't throw because he was strong. Not because of poor mechanics or anything.

Now, this article having disappoined me as much as it does, what are the chances that Kaepernick's upper-body workout isn't a shit-ton of benching, curls, benching, and curls? Not exactly what I'd want my prize throwing athlete to be doing. One would think that the strength coach would have set him up with something better, maybe some overhead work (gasp) but, well as long as there are NFL players half squatting I can't assume that these strength coaches know better.

starting strength coach development program
    Air/wind resistance of a larger surface area appendage moving through space AND BROAD TIME AND MODAL DOMAINS. This is why I only wear tight Under Armour shirts, better aerodynamics.
    No, now it's fixed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast