starting strength gym

Thread: Attacking lumbar over extension

Default Attacking lumbar over extension

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

This is Michael from the MD seminar. I've been working on fixing my habit of lumbar over extension. My squat and deadlift look better. I plan on posting a press video in the future, as I continue to work on actively staying tighter.

I will be implementing sit ups as you recommended. What do I need to know about performing sit ups safely? I've heard some guys speak negatively about them.

Thanks,
    Michael

What have you heard that makes you think they're dangerous?

I think he may be referring to how they cause back pain in some people...honestly the only direct ab work I ever felt worked was an ab wheel, tried roman chairs but they make me like I'm having my facet joints smashed together, so do decline sit ups, leg raises are okay but I feel like mu hip flexors go before abs

of course nothing is quite like the press or frontsquats for ab work

That the spinal flexion involved in the movement sometimes causes sore low backs.

Dr. McGill says they're bad and done enough will lead to herniation. Almost no benefit in putting the spine in a state of flexion repeatedly. Virtually no carryover to athletic performance. Plenty of other "core" exercises you can do that keeps the spine a neutral and more stable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What have you heard that makes you think they're dangerous?
    I heard you tell us how much sit up were awfull for your lower back I'm surprised you ask him the question tho

Go on... lol

Hope all is well Rip,

Quote Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post
    Dr. McGill says they're bad and done enough will lead to herniation. Almost no benefit in putting the spine in a state of flexion repeatedly. Virtually no carryover to athletic performance. Plenty of other "core" exercises you can do that keeps the spine a neutral and more stable position.
    I agree with this, and we talk about it every seminar. The "core" exercises you do are the squat, deadlift, and press.

starting strength coach development program
    Planks, Dish-Shape holds and then (assisted) front levers if you want to do anything OTHER than Squat/Press/Deadlift.