starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check + pressing query

Default Squat form check + pressing query

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mr Rippetoe

I think around when Brian Jones fell off a roof; I fell from a trapeze, after having my hand break on someone's face while they were mid-air.

I suffered a hand fracture that I elected to have a non-surgical fixation of, to help ensure the wrist ROM was sufficient for handstands etc.
    (All studies that I found on fixed plate or k-wire fixations showed 80% or less in wrist extension function, long term)

The neck MRI showed no fractures, but apparently (I was very drugged up, my partner later related) two ligaments very stretched over C1-C2.

The hand was in a cast for over 11 weeks, and my neck means constant mild pain but no symptoms apart from instant death should I land on my head at all, ever again.

Enter the Squat, I was at 90kg for 3x5 prior to my injury.
    Here it is at 105kg for 3x5:

http://youtu.be/uPG4Krur2O8

My press was at 80kg 3x5 (@75kg bodyweight) prior to my injury.
    now it is sitting at ~55kg for the same reps.
    At my now 93kg, this means I cannot perform any acrobatic feats required for an income, nor OHP a woman's weight easily enough to train strongman/partner acrobatics movements. Should I abandon the thought of being an acrobat again? Partial OHP's at body weight are required to be strong enough to force the ground away from my head and fragile neck.

I did suffer some cognitive impairment, so please bear with me if this is hard to read.

What has been the longest period of time you have gone without falling on your head previous to the injury?

3-6 six months, always a minor fall on thick crash mats.
    This particular time I only had a thin layer of rubber over concrete.

Looks like you're in for a career change.

Retail assistant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like you're in for a career change.
    If you are at all inclined to coach, you may perhaps have a soft landing from this otherwise sad news (and it is sad – my heart goes out to you). Circus schools are great places for kids to challenge themselves but I doubt you’ll find many barbells. You probably will, however, find a lot of kids who get discouraged by not being strong enough to do the really cool shit. A guy with your background who understands the Starting Strength model could really make a difference for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    A guy with your background who understands the Starting Strength model could really make a difference for kids.
    I do have (circus) coaching experience, and have completed a personal training cert. while rehabbing.
    I will find a way to get an income in Texas for a while, this Aussie doesn't trust anyone in this country to have even a small portion of experience compared to what Mr Rippetoe's team does.

Sorry that your injuries are jeopardizing your career. Is that a high bar squat? By choice or because of your injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by vkp78 View Post
    Sorry that your injuries are jeopardizing your career. Is that a high bar squat? By choice or because of your injuries?
    High bar through my kind if idiocy.

I finally got the bar position correct last workout. Strangely enough it felt much easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    I know we just post anonymously to the same message board, and haven't even really posted "together" that I can recall, but I'm really sorry to hear about this injury.

The acrobatic stuff you post about is always really cool to read, and your story of gaining muscular body-weight way beyond what everyone told you was a "good weight" for your profession and you were able to still excel and even be better at it was awesome to read.

I hope you figure out a direction to go in your life now that it seems your career as an acrobat may be over. good luck!
    It's been sitting at the back of my mind that I would never return to the career as it was. Although I've tentatively trained some things in-between bouts of rehab and now strength training, I was always scared.
    I'd forgotten too easily some sessions that what used to be a minor fuck-up could mean me dying; which might not have been great for people training in the same space to see.
    Though I regained the ability to do many things I was told were going to be impossible, I won't have the full skill-set required to perform my job.

I think it is important to have a good woman by your side during these sort of trials. I had a useless one, who honestly made me cook every meal even while drugged up and in a neck-brace and cast.
    And work two jobs while rehabbing because she "couldn't work and study"

Don't do this.
    She got the boot a while back.

http://youtu.be/E4mYekyKruk

I pulled 3 plates last night, despite my old habit of putting the bar down over my damn ankle, not mid-foot.
    And my lack of SQUOZE™ may be due to taking a 20lb jump because of ego problems at the bar.