starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hemorrhoids

Unhappy Hemorrhoids

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started SS over a year ago, but due to hemorrhoids I reduced my squatting volume, reduced the frequency, and eventually just eliminated them. Once I started squatting more than my bodyweight, hemorrhoids became a regular fear. Any hemorrhoid kept me off squatting for ~3 weeks to ensure full recovery. I even started doing the whole "squat-poop" thing (which is fantastic btw), plus fiber supplements (not that I needed them), and home medicating my roids on a daily basis. After about 6 months I finally gave up on lifting due to the chronic hemorrhoids. The last time I lifted, a deadlift PR gave me a roid- I just couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped SS. Hemorrhoids varied from degrees 1-4. Bowel Movements varied between 1-4 on the Bristol Stool Chart.

Fiber and water intake are definitely not the problem, I don't have a dairy intolerance, and proctologists have been completely useless. I reset my squat to day 1 at least twice. By that I mean, I started squatting just the empty bar and had two of my friends form check me multiple times. Any ideas why this is happening?

You have parents with hemorrhoids.

Why not just got to a proctologist or general surgeon and have the damn things banded/frozen/cut off and move on with your life? Jesus, we have the technology to transplant a fucking heart-lung complex and implant a bionic pecker. Piles are not a showstopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your parents gave birth to hemorrhoids.
    Fixed it.

The name Kegelbot is a fair indication that someone is a little too preoccupied with the inner cloacal realm.

I honestly didn't know you could have em frozen off! I thought they just went away after rubbing some cream on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Why not just got to a proctologist and have the damn things banded/frozen/cut off ...we have the technology to implant a bionic pecker.
    I'm thinking check Groupon for the package deal.

I have a hemorrhoid now and I had it before I did Starting Strength. You mentioned form checks in your post so it sounds like you might be under the impression that you're doing something wrong and that's what's causing the hemorrhoid. I hope Rip or Dr. Sullivan will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I say that the hemorrhoid is caused by you doing something right. When I met him for the first time, my gastroenterologist asked me if I was lifting heavy and told me that the valsalva maneuver can aggravate the hemorrhoid. He said that I could help matters by not lifting heavy (thankfully, he's not an idiot and did not suggest that I lift heavy without the valsalva).

Anyway, I figure that I'll have the hemorrhoid whether I lift heavy or not so I may as be a stronger person with a hemorrhoid. I agree with Dr. Sullivan: get the thing removed. I'm currently exploring options for removal myself.

I actually think that SS and lifting have fixed my recurring mild hemorrhoid problems.

It's made me much more aware and in control of my body, and controlling my abdomen, and I've changed my shitting posture (mostly by widening my stance and using increased hip flexion) and I haven't had a hemorrhoid issue in a while.

YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    I would not recommend trying to remove your hemorrhoid yourself.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast