starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question on Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    A little less control and some misses but some huge weights still being set down with respect. 1967 Empire State Invitational: multiple senior world champions/world record holders lifting at a local meet in the U.S.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3RteE7Ni8

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    I ended up spraining my wrist by jamming elbow into my quad.
    Get your elbows up. This is even more important with full (squat) cleans than power cleans. It's not that hard to full-out break your wrist if your elbow hits your knee on a heavy full clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Pressing 2.0
    Yes I know, but he makes it look elegant and blindingly fast. I've watched it probably 15 times just amazed at how fast he is to near lockout.

Follow-up question:

Catching the bar instead of dropping it makes my traps CRAZY sore... I think you've said in the past that today's lifters are in a way missing out on some trap strength development that you get from catching the bar (paraphrasing loosely). If that's the case, is it better to catch the bar than drop it given the choice?

It probably is, but you're not going to talk anybody with bumper plates into doing that.

I just cancelled the shit out of my gold's gym trial membership a couple weeks ago. I found a gym right by my office that has a legit oly platform and power rack, Rogue oly bar and Pendley bumpers... and they have showers. I couldn't believe it. I'm set.

I'm not dropping the bar for a while to see what happens. This week traps not nearly as sore as last week. I expect to be straight up YOKED with a severe case of bigorexia in 2 more weeks. If I'm not then it's all your fault Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It probably is, but you're not going to talk anybody with bumper plates into doing that.
    I learned with iron, so even now that I have bumpers, I still drop/catch it. I've always figured it's good extra work as noted above, it helps reinforce the movement, and since I don't always have bumpers around, it's good to stay in the habit.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't understand what the issue is. I have bumpers, but I only ever drop them if its a max attempt and the actual clean really blew me up and I feel I might take a chance if I lower it properly. Otherwise, I just lower it like you can see the old boys do in a million videos on Youtube. Little bounce, catch it in a fluid motion on your thighs and then down to the floor. It doesn't cost me much, and adds to the workout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12