starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Rub for new smoker

Default BBQ Rub for new smoker

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coach,
    My wife just got me a smoker for my birthday. Do you have a recipe for dry rub or a brand of rub you thought was best for smokehouse BBQ? Also, what role does BBQ sauce play at a Texas BBQ?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Sauce plays no role in the cooking of BBQ in Texas. It goes on afterwards, especially if you did a shitty job with the cooking. Texas BBQ is all about the smoke, and the best I've had usually doesn't even use a rub. Pecan/hickory and oak and the fat in the meat form the basis of the flavor. Maybe use a salt rub beforehand, maybe not.

Not sure how accepted it is in various BBQ traditions, but I've had excellent results brining before hand. Baby back ribs brined for an hour then smoked are hard to beat.

I like hickory, but I use mesquite a lot becase of my location (west Texas). I use a brown sugar, salt, pepper and paprika rub mixed to taste if I use one. Pork shoulder is my favorite at the moment and a forgiving cut of meat to smoke.

I live in the middle of a mesquite pasture, and I don't use it because I don't like the flavor. I go to some trouble to keep a supply of pecan handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sauce plays no role in the cooking of BBQ in Texas. It goes on afterwards, especially if you did a shitty job with the cooking. Texas BBQ is all about the smoke, and the best I've had usually doesn't even use a rub. Pecan/hickory and oak and the fat in the meat form the basis of the flavor. Maybe use a salt rub beforehand, maybe not.
    Great advice here. Maybe a little pepper too if you are feeling froggy. Apple wood is nice as well. Oh, and don't forget to go slow (cooking ~225F).

I grew up on my dad's mesquite smoked brisket. I don't remember more than a little salt & pepper other than the wood. He wrote me the recipe before he died, I haven't had the chance to carry it out yet in NYC. Someone may call the police when they see all the smoke.

No apple or cherry wood?

In NORTH TEXAS??????

starting strength coach development program
    I can mail you some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast